Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSdr for Mac and CW Skimmer

Options
Is it possible to run Cw skimmer on my old windows 10 computer with SmartSdr for mac running on my mac mini. If not can i run it on my mini using parallels to run windows 10. All computers are on my home network.

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    Options

It should be possible.

To do so I think you would need the following:

1) SmartSDR Mac - Turn off DAX in this so no dax is used. However enable Dax IQ on the particular pan you are using

2) On Windows PC run DAX (from SmartSDR Win). Connect it to your radio.

3) Examine the dax control panel on your windows machine, if you see signal present then it may work

4) Run CW skimmer and see if it can get data from the DAX IQ channel that is active.

Here is what will likely not work with this setup:

CW skimmer will not scroll with frequency changes in SmartSDR. The spectral should move if you move the pan in SmartSDR mac but the "current" frequency that typically follows your slice will not move.

If you are looking to just decode CW and don't need the full pan decode of CW Skimmer the program CWGet can run in Crossover for mac. So there would be two things to buy: 1) CWGET. 2) Crossover.

CWGET decodes one signal at a time from your current slice frequency with DAX on.

Let us know if the above setup works at all. I have not tried it.

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    Options

There is also an app available in the Mac App Store called Morse Decoder which can handle a single channel at a time, a la CWGET but without the need for CWGET and Crossover. It isn't a perfect decode, but it does work and is a lot cheaper than the CWGET/Crossover approach.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave, I was excited when you mentioned Morse Decoder. I was not aware of it.

I downloaded it but I'm quite disappointed. Side-by-side with CWGet and Crossover it basically fails badly

Below is both programs working and CWGet got a pretty good sentence starting with "yesterday". But the hotpaw decoder (Morse Decoder) pretty much got garbage.

I'll keep playing with it though.

• K3DCW
    K3DCW Member ✭✭
    Options

Morse Decoder is definitely very sensitive to audio levels, and as I said, "it isn't perfect."

I am also glad to see CWGet running so well under CrossOver. For those that already use CrossOver, it is just another great tool that can there. The very best CW decoder software I've ever used is MRP, but I've never tried to run it under CrossOver: perhaps I should.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'll play with levels for Morse Decoder and see if it gets better.

I have MRP and a license but I stopped using it long ago because I had to get a new license from the guy every time something changed on my computer. Anyway I will try it in cross over and see.

I did try to get CW skimmer to work in cross over but it was a no-go.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Morse Decoder does work better with reduced level for sure. Will keep playing.