Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

To Flex or not to Flex

[{"insert":"Hi all,\nI currently am running a Yaesu FTDX3000 but find I have less and less time to spend in the shack. Busy with work family etc. Considering going to either a Flex 6400 or 6400M. Or possibly the new Yaesu FTDX10.. Would like to have the option of operating remote with a Maestro or iPad but also like the idea of having knobs and buttons in the shack for when I’m there. Also, I have a limited budget, of course. Currently, I just operate SSB. I have a 300 watt solid state amp that I’ve considered turning loose of in favor of barefoot remote operations. Open to ideas, would I be better off to sell my existing rig and start over with a Flex to get more time on the air?\nThanks!\n"}]

Comments

• AndyK
    AndyK Member
    Hi,
    I use remote my Flex 6400 and my FT991A. For the 991A I use RCForb (http://www.remotehams.com/index.php). There is even a client for Android. I love both ways.So if you are low on budget, give RCForb a try. It is really great and free!
    73s,
    Andy
  • flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Andy,\nThanks for the info, I’ll look into it. Does the RCForb client give you any kind of scope?\n"}]
  • AndyK
    AndyK Member
    edited April 2021
    [{"insert":"Hi Flyham,\nno. Sadly, there is no scope with RCForb. That is the big disadvantage. One big advantage though is, that you can use your CW paddle connected to the serial port of your computer. You do not need something like a Maestro to achieve this.\nIt should work perfectely with your FT3000. Just try it. It is free!\n73s,\nAndy\n"}]
  • flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Thanks for the info Andy!\n"}]
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

RCForb work really really well on ALL the FLEX radios with no issues so RCForb should not be a selling point of the FT3000 and the FLEX line.

I have ran it on a Flex3000, Flex6300, and a Flex6700

Just download RCForb Client on your computer or Android device and have a look at all the stations on there, Oh the Android Client is a paid for APP if I remember.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Based on your statement I would suggest a 6600 (or 6400) and a separate Maestro. The 6600 can sit on a shelf away from your op position. Assuming your network is pretty good you can just pick your Maestro up and take it to the living room or even out on the deck if you have shade.

You can buy these large battery packs from Amazon like 22,000 mAh and they will power your Maestro for at least a few hours if not most of the afternoon.

With a setup like this you could even take your Maestro on trips, or just use a laptop/iPad.

Best way to go in my opinion.

Want an amp? Go PGXL and then you have everything in one package. Completely control your amp from your Maestro, laptop or iPad.

• flyham
    flyham Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"Thanks for all the opinions! I ended up getting a flex 6400, it’s been a pleasure to operate so far. Really impressed with the radio and the community! \n"}]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.