Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AGC Attack with NB Engaged

Options
K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭

My neighbor has an electric fence along one edge of my property. It makes a lot of noise in my Flex 6500 using SmartSDR 2.4.10.

After seeing Tim's presentation on the QSO Today Hamfest about receiver adjustments, I have been using the Noise Blanker at a low setting (10 or less). That eliminates the noise.

I run a CW traffic net and when a very strong station calls in the first letter of the call is highly distorted. After that copy is fine. It's like the AGC is slow to attack for part of a second. Or it may be that the Noise Blanker is confused at first.

Is there a setting I can adjust to minimize the effect?

I had been using the Wideband Noise Blanker and it doesn't have this slow attack problem, but it also is not as effective at eliminating the noise.

Best Answer

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

I doubt it is the AGC that is causing it, but it is the initial "training" time that the NB does when it detects new signals. If changing the AGC to slow or fast makes no difference, then it is the NB that is responsible. I'd normally tell you to reduce the NB threshold, but you already have it very low to start with.

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    Options

What is your AGC setting?

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Tim -

ACG-T is about 25 and AGC is MED.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.