Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Recommendations on Automatic Antenna Tuners that works well with FlexRadio?

Options
2»

Answers

• Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks all... Original question posted June 2020 and I have since moved on to a Palstar.

• Dom wa2got
    Dom wa2got Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Alan for the quick reply! I think I have an understanding. Does this sound like the steps involved?
    (1) Start SmartSDR and turn on tuner
    (2) Tune to desired frequency
    (3) Hit the 'tune' button on the Flex. This will cause the tuner to self tune either finding lowest SWR or tune from memory.
    (4) Proceed with a QSO
    Question on step 3, must the tune button remain depressed until the tuner has finished its tuning?
    Another question, since I plan to buy an auto tuner, budget around 2-3 hundred dollars. Power capability equal to that of the output of the Flex (~100W). Suggestions on which tuners integrate better with the Flex than others at that price range?
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Comments, assuming you are using a remote tuner.

Step (1) - No need to turn on tuner. Leave power on.

Step (3) - If you are not happy with the Tune Solution, power cycle the tuner (off/on) and the tuner will find a new solution and store in memory. This is also accomplished by pressing the "Tune" button on the MFJ power inserter.

Q - "...must the tune button remain depressed..."? - There are two "Tune Buttons". On the Flex, Tune sends out low level RF (suggest you set it for about 5 to 10 watts). Press first to Tune, and another press to stop tune. For the Tune button on the MFJ power inserter, as described in repose to Q3.

I think all the MFJ Tuners operate the same, only the power ratings differ. So, all are good.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Dom wa2got
    Dom wa2got Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Alan.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.