Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 and Maestro question

Very sorry for the dumb and basic question...

I have my 6700 connected to an Intel NUC that is connected to the internet via WiFi. I would like to be able to use my Maestro upstairs also connected wirelessly through my WiFi network. How can I get the Maestro to talk to the 6700 downstairs?

What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks

Gary

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Gary

Having the NUC connected, or not, is not necessary for the Maestro to connect to the Flex. The Maestro has built-in WiFi or you can connect an ethernet cable to the Maestro using the RJ45 connector on the back. The Maestro talks directly to the Flex Server (Radio).

If you want to run both the NUC and Maestro at the same time, you can do so using Flex Multiplex. You will be limited to two slices on the NUC.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Gary

Having the NUC connected, or not, is not necessary for the Maestro to connect to the Flex. The Maestro has built-in WiFi or you can connect an ethernet cable to the Maestro using the RJ45 connector on the back. The Maestro talks directly to the Flex Server (Radio).

If you want to run both the NUC and Maestro at the same time, you can do so using Flex Multiplex. You will be limited to two slices on the NUC.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

The original question was unclear. Is the flex connected to the NUC or are they both connected to a switch? If to the NUC then the maestro, when connected to the switch by hard-wire or WiFi will not see the flex.

If FR and NUC are EACH connected to the switch they are on the same sub-net and should communicate to each other.

• Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭

I have my Flex 6700 in the basement and it is connected to a NUC via an ethernet cable. The NUC is connected to the internet via WiFi connection to my wireless router. I would like to leave that all connected as-is because that is where my antenna connection is located. I would also like to use my Maestro upstairs using the built-in WiFi. I was just wondering how to make the Maestro see the Flex in the basement. Seems like a fairly typical use case but the Maestro can't see the Flex unless I run some other SW?

Hopefully that clears up my muddled description?

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Flex>>>>cable to LAN

NUC>>>>cable or wifi to LAN

Maestro>>>cabel or wifi to LAN

Where LAN is your Local Area Network with a router.

This way, your router will assign IP addresses to each device and all three can communicate together.

Alan

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭

Flex>>>>cable to LAN

NUC>>>>cable or wifi to LAN

Maestro>>>cabel or wifi to LAN

Where LAN is your Local Area Network with a router.

This way, your router will assign IP addresses to each device and all three can communicate together.

Alan

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Gary, I think I see the problem... Right now, your Flex does not see the LAN, it only sees the NUC (so SmartSDR works, but the Maestro doesn't). Alan's diagram shows a working arrangement because each component is connected to the LAN. If you can get everything plugged into the LAN (I use a cheap 8 port Network Switch), I think you will get it to work. If possible, connect the NUC and Flex to the LAN (router or switch) using cables instead of WiFi for more reliability and less latency/dropouts. Using the Maestro on WiFi gives you the freedom to move around, but does come with a potential performance price.

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

Gary,

Supporting Alan's reply. The key points in both our replies is the following:

ALL devices must CONNECT TO YOUR SWITCH via direct or WiFi. Direct wire from your 6700 to your switch is preferred over WiFi.

Do NOT connect your 6700 to the NUC. Reason is that will establish the 6700 on a different sub-net and it will not communicate

Now, what is the NUC supposed to do? That determines where its mouse/keyboard/screen(s) are located. If totally automated services then it may be anywhere; but, for example, N1MM loging/contesting then you will need it at your operating location so you can operate and log via the NUC/N1MM application and also tune/transmit (CW or SSB) from the Maestro. If for digital, e.g. FT8, the NUC would also be running a decode application plus SmartDAX to communicate that data to/from the 6700.

At either location the NUC may also run the SmartCAT application, establishing com port data and control across the network to your 6700.

• Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭

Thanks for the replies. I have the Flex connected to the NUC with a widescreen because that is my main/local operating environment in the basement. The room where the Flex/NUC are located does not have a cabled access to the internet so that is why I am using WiFi. Upstairs, I need to also use WiFi because of convenience and ability to change locations readily. If I disconnect the Flex from the NUC then the Flex has no way to establish any network connection.

Sounds like there is basically no way to make this work then...

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

The Flex does not have network connectivity the way you are configured. Maybe someone can answer the question - Can Gary bridge the ethernet port to WiFi within the NUC to get the LAN connectivity he needs?

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for that info, I have not tried this so can someone reply on how to achieve it.

Obtain another switch (may need to replace both) so the new switch extends the network ('AT' mode?) then connect the basement NUC and 6700 to it.

• Pat_W5WTH
    Pat_W5WTH Member ✭✭

Switch the words "upstairs" with "downstairs" and you basically have my setup, which works fine.

I have my 6400 sitting next to a PC running SSDR upstairs. I have a CW key, mic, and headphones plugged directly into the rig. The 6400 is, of course, on the LAN (hardwired to the LAN in my application)

Downstairs I have my Maestro connected via WiFi to the LAN. I have a CW key and headphones plugged into the Maestro. When I turn the Maestro on it "finds" the 6400 upstairs and I away I go!

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭

The important thing is that the two access devices and the 6700 should be network attached and on the same Network served by the same DHCP source giving you addresses on the same subnet and gateway. Then it is just a matter of software use. I.E. selection of the radio via the NUC running SmartSDR or the Maestro. Check your addresses to make sure you are on the same local subnet.

• Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭

Appreciate the responses. So in summary you can't do what I am wanting to do. It seems to me that this is one of the most common applications for this equipment so still not sure how to solve this dilemma other than rip up a bunch of stuff and run ethernet cables. Running cables will make this a non-starter for me so I'm not sure what the next steps will be.

I am a little surprised by the lack of flexibility that this obvious configuration uncovers...

Can't I just run that remote control SW (I forgot what Flex calls it) to do this? You can tell that I am not a power user of this equipment!

• Lasse SM5GLC
    Lasse SM5GLC Member ✭✭✭

You may need some extra hardware :) A WiFi bridge to reach your WiFi acesspoint upstairs. Use a router in bridge mode, and hook up your 6700 and NUC wired to the router. Let the router wireless bridge up to your LAN upstairs. The key is to have your 6700, NUC and Maestro on the same sub network. Just make sure your new router in the basement do support bridge mode.

I do not think you can use SmartLink to connect as your NUC is not acting as a bridge. As I am no network expert, someone may chime in and tell us how to bridge the two nets in your NUC and thus act as the "router solution" I described. But having a router/switch close to the NUC will allow you to attach other stuff that will be reachable on your home net.

Finally, daisy-chaining ethernet is to the "norm", but star-topology, i e all clients i a subnet hook up to a common switch.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.