Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

iambic paddles not working on flex6500

Options
rob
rob Member
I'm having an issue with the CW keyer in my 6500.  I use iambic paddles.  The radio is configured for iambic in the radio setup.  I have tried different paddles with same result.  The problem started about a month ago.  Any suggestions?  BTW, it works with Maestro.

Thanks
K1SR
Rob

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Rob, what are the specific symptoms? (i.e. nothing happens, get sidetone but no RF, etc etc)
    Len, KD0RC
  • rob
    rob Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Len, Yes it will key the sidetone as well as the transmitter if you are in break-in mode.  Just getting one side i.e. dits only.
  • Bob Needleman
    Bob Needleman Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Check the cord's plug on the paddles. Either it's not fully inserted in the Flex's key jack, or one of the leads (dahs) has come off.

Bob K3AC
  • rob
    rob Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Bob, it’s not the plug. I have used different paddles as well. I’m suspecting it may be the contacts in the jack of the radio not making contact?

Rob
  • KD0RC
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you gently (emphasis on gently...) lean the plug in the jack, can you get dashes?
    Len
  • rob
    rob Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Len, I did do that ever so gently with no luck.  So, just not sure what the issue is.  If the Maestro is a client, doesn't it also key the keyer in the 6500?  It does woek from there.
  • KD0RC
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Well, I think your earlier assessment is probably correct - something wrong with the jack in the radio.  It could be dirt, a broken wire (or solder connection) or a bent or broken contact in the jack.  I don't know if the 6500 has shielding around the jack, but I think it would be worth taking a look.  I have had that problem on other equipment where my cat used the plug as a jumping platform and bent the internals of the jack.  Judicious application of small needle nose pliers cured the problem.
    Len
  • KD0RC
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Oh, and I almost forgot.  Make sure that the plug is well and truly all the way into the jack (don't force it, just make sure it is all the way in).
  • rob
    rob Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Tnx Len I will do that first thing tomorrow morning.
  • tomtom
    tomtom Member
    Options
    i have the same problem with my Flex 3000 , key in only get one side working still have not got a fix .

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.