Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Are there any active plans to upgrade the 6700? It is, by far, the oldest in the line.

Are there any active plans to upgrade the 6700? It is, by far, the oldest in the line.

Best Answer

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi Andrew... I would bet there are some plans in the works, but I doubt we'll hear anything directly from Flex until they're pretty close to being ready to release/sell the unit. They're reluctant to provide too much info on future plans as they've had a couple bad experiences in the past (as I understand it).

Answers

• Andrew Thall
    Andrew Thall Member ✭✭

I just don't want to think about buying a 6700 if it will be replaced -- that's big bucks -- and that's what happened when I bought my 6500 -- the 6600 was announced just two or three months later. thanks!!!

• Mr Radio
    Mr Radio Member ✭✭

I would like to see a F 1500 replacement, but as say 50W radio, without additional PA, cables, etc. It is unfortunate that manufacturers keep their plans in secret ( yes, I know why)- listening to consumer's suggestions before design stage could result in a refined product good to great majority of users. To some extend I am disappointed with PG- a liquid cooled unit would be much more efficient in removing heat , and without fan noise problem.

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭

You have to look at today's offerings and today's prices. If you have a certain need and budget, and there's a model that works for you, go with it. There will always be new products coming. What features would the new "6800" model have? Quad SCUs? More serious VHF/UHF support? Or just the current 6700 features at a lower price point? All these things could happen, but it shouldn't change your calculation today.

Wonderful new stuff will come in the long run. But as Mr. Keynes said, in the long run we're all dead. :-(

I'm a happy long-time 6500 user. The 6400 and 6600 have some new features and better price points, but I've felt little need to switch to a 6600. (And I prefer the pizza box packaging.)

73 Martin AA6E

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭

You make it sound like Keynes was making a carpe diem argument, a seize the day argument, when in fact he was not. Read his entire quote. It is a realistic expectation that disappointment will follow if one buys an expensive radio, such as the 6700, only to find that a few months later it is no longer in production and is being replaced. The proven fact with tech is the longer you wait to upgrade tech products, the more capability you'll get for less money. If you can wait then do wait. When you can wait no longer, then its time to put your money down.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.