Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Driving a Top Ten band decoder from the 6600M USB

Looking for a USB to BCD converter (which I've been able to find) to enable driving

a band decoder to switch band pass filters following the slice frequency

Comments

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Jim:

I assume that you meant that you had NOT found a USB to BCD converter. Flex sells a "USB to Parallel cable "that has ten parallel output wires. The 6000 can be set up to output a BCD bit pattern using this cable ( the cable outputs are CMOS levels). Programing of the cable is covered in the "USB Cable Interface Guide for the Flex 6000" document that can be found on the Flex web site.

I have not used this cable but have used a USB to RS-232 cable to interface my KPA-500/KAT-500 amp and tuner. It works well.

I apologize if I have misunderstood what you are needing.

Gayle K0FLY

• w5ap
    w5ap Member ✭✭

Gayle K0FLY

Thanks for your reply

It looks like the USB to Parallel cable may be what I'm looking for.

I've been using a USB to BCD cable adaptor C232HM DDHSL-0 which is driving a Top Ten band decoder for slice A

The 6600m USB Cables tap reports this as (FTWH898R)

Don't know where I got it and can't find a source anymore.

Then I got a similar device - a C232HM EDHSL-0 which is driving another Top Ten band decoder for slice B.

Which the 6600M reports as (FT2PMJK6) I see now that this is the "parallel cable output" that is referenced in the USB doc.

The first one works well but the second one sometimes jumps to the wrong band (maybe I have too much rf in the shack - I don't know) sometimes - most often when slice A is on 20, and I transmit slice B on 15, the second decoder shows 15 selected (along with driving the correct filters) then jumps to 20.

Most likely the band decoder is not connected properly to the C232HM EDHSL-0

I'll work on that theory

Again, tnx Jim - W5AP

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

How many relay outputs do you need?

Another option is the using a SainSmart USB-8 relay board to directly select filters. It uses a USB-A to USB-B (USB printer) cable. It gives you 8 relay outputs. When you plug it in the radio you can configure it like this. The relays can follow TX slice, TX Antenna, or individual slice. Two of these relay board can replace the Top Ten device. They are $30 each on Amazon and run on 12 volts. The relays are dry contact out, normally open, normally closed, and common. So for $60 and a smal experimenter's box you can have automatic bandpass filter selection for both A & B slices.

Dave wo2x

Amazon.com: SainSmart USB Eight Channel Relay Board for Automation - 12 V: Computers & Accessories

• w5ap
    w5ap Member ✭✭

David

That's terrific.....thanks

I assume that the picture you sent is what you see on the 6600M in the USB cables menu when you plug in a USB cable from the

SainSmart USB-8 relay board to either USB plug on the back of the radio.

Again, tnx for taking the time to send this info to me

73, Jim

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator

That is correct. That is the SainSmart board. I included a link to it on Amazon. It is also available direct from SainSmart.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.