Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Started Transmitting all on its own

Norm - W7CK
Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
edited July 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I upgraded software to 1.4.16 and all went well. 

I left my 6700 on last night.  Just before going to bed, I made sure the volume was turned down. I looked around the shack and all was well.  I woke up in the middle of the night walked by the shack and noticed the darn 6700 was in transmit mode.  I know for a fact it was not in transmit when I went to bed.  SmartSDR was still working properly and all I did to remedy the problem was tap the MOX button.  I could have sworn I had the Transmit Timeout set for 10 min, but it was back at zero when I checked it.  Who knows how long it had been transmitting.

Microphone is connected to BAL on the back of the rig, active slice was on 2 meters FM.  The LDPA was in transmit, RF Power was at full scale and the fan going steady.  Luckily it was on a simplex frequency. DDUtil was not running at the time.

Anyone else ever experience this?

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    I have not seen any reports of this nature where the radio keys up without it being a software or a hardware assertion of PTT.  

One thing to note.  When the radio is transmitting, if you take your mouse pointer and put it on the red TX button at the bottom right hand corner of the console, a message box (tooltip) will appear and tell you what source is keying the radio, whether it is via software or a hardware PTT.  This will identify how the radio was keyed up so you can troubleshoot.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Do you have a cat who likes to lay on warm radios?  :-)
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

With 1.4.11 I got occasional TX for a second or so on SSB but with no modulation.

This without an input from me. Not seen with 1.4.16 so far.

Andrew VK5CV

• Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Tim - Good to know on how to check what the keying source is.  If it happens again, I'll be sure to check. 

Duane - I don't have any pets or kids at the house.  This happened between 11:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m.  Vox was not on and it was a steady carrier do to being on 2m FM.

Andrew - Thanks.

I know for a fact, it was NOT in transmit mode when I left the room to head off to bed.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Blame it on the leap second that was added last night 
    http://www.timeanddate.com/time/leapseconds.html
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Another thing to keep in mind, the space bar on the keyboard when pressed will duplicate the last function used on the SSDR interface. If you had keyed your radio with the mox button last, a mouse (LOL) could run across your keyboard space bar and key it.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I have one who loves to lay on my Astron power supply.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am not sure if this is it but I think I may have. It was reported as a phantom signal. I believe what it ended up being was VOX is active when in CW mode so any sound in the room will show as a very weakly modulated signal. That was not an FRS conclusion, as they never weighed in on it, pending a video of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZAEAILy9vA
    That was months ago. So make sure vox is deselected. At the point I was seeing it I did not know how to do a youtube to show. Actually, let me see if I still have that recording on my phone, Yep, still have it.
  • Mike VA3MD
    Mike VA3MD Member ✭✭

I have the same problem and there should be a way to stop the space bar turning on Transmit

• Tim - W4TME

I have the same problem and there should be a way to stop the space bar turning on Transmit

There isn't. This is a function of the Windows operating system

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.