Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mic set up

Options

I have a new mic that is not listed in the default mic list. I am not sure what the new profile should be. I have 6400m. New set up.

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Terry, there are several videos by @Ken Wells NM9P on YouTube. He shows you exactly how to set up your mic using Full Duplex mode so that you can hear and see your signal. I can't listen to myself while I talk, so I use Ken's technique with the added twist of recording the receive side.

What mic are you trying to set up? Is it dynamic or electret (condenser)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LytzQGpE5ZM&t=8s

• KR5OG Paul K
    KR5OG Paul K Member ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Options

What mic are you trying to use?

If you know the specs for your mic you should be able to find a profile for a mic with similar specs and select that mic. Then make any adjustments needed for sound and gain, then save it in mic profile using any name you want to call it.

Mike VA3MW with FlexRsdio has a very good video on YouTube that explains the process in detail. https://youtu.be/GdFeTzPo14w

Paul

KR5OG

• Terry L Angle
    Options

The mic is a Condenser

• Terry L Angle
    Options

The mic is a Condenser

• KR5OG Paul K
    KR5OG Paul K Member ✭✭
    Options

Terry, the condenser mike will well with the Flex 6000 radios.

Some electrict condenser mics need a Bias voltage for them to work properly, this is available through the Settings tab of the software then Radio Setup. Select Bias on or off. If your mic is a true Condenser mic then you will need an external box to supply the proper voltage to the mic. This is known as Phantom voltage, 48v dc. Whereas the bias voltage is very low, 2.3v or so.

A good unit for supplying this would be something like a Behringer MIC 2200 or a mixer, Beheringer 802 usb mixer. or any Equivalent unit of your choosing there are many different units out there use my hams every day.

hope this helps.

Paul

KR5OG

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Terry, It is hard to give advice without knowing what mic you are using. Some take a bias voltage (1 - 9 V, typically), some take phantom power (11 - 48 V) and some (like dynamic mics) need no DC voltage. Let us know what brand and model so that we don't tell you the wrong thing.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Terry, I’ve never been able to adjust the transmit eq just by ear with no test equipment. I leave the eq flat and adjust the tx bandwidth to something like 250-3100 and call it good. It takes more power to transmit low voice frequencies than higher so I cut those out to concentrate transmit power into the higher frequencies that contribute to intelligibility.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Terry, I’ve never been able to adjust the transmit eq just by ear with no test equipment. I leave the eq flat and adjust the tx bandwidth to something like 250-3100 and call it good. It takes more power to transmit low voice frequencies than higher so I cut those out to concentrate transmit power into the higher frequencies that contribute to intelligibility.

• KD0RC
    Options

Well, the Flex does have built-in test equipment. The Full Duplex (FDX) function gives you the capability to see your transmitted signal.

What I do is just like NM9P suggests. I put the rig into FDX with two panadapters open. I transmit on the XVTR port so that I put out a very low level signal. I receive on RXA. I set both VFOs to the same freq and mode. I zoom in on the received signal and mute both slices to prevent feedback. I then transmit and adjust the TX EQ to get a fairly flat display.

Once it looks reasonable, I record the RX side and play it back to see if it needs further tweaking. It is the FDX functionality that really gives the Flex some amazing capabilities.

It has been said many times here, but I will reiterate that you should not use the Monitor function to adjust your TX EQ.

Since using Ken's technique, I have always gotten great audio reports.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.