Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

powering on 6400

Coming from a 3000. When turning on the power supply there is quite a thunk from the 6400. Is this normal?

Best Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

Hi Lee, There are some relays that make noise when powering up, is that what you are hearing?

Len, KD0RC

• W2JV_
    W2JV_ Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Lee, Check to determine if your speaker is on, I get that clunk when I shut down with the external speaker on.

W2JV

Peter

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

With my powered speakers on a 6600M, I will get some audio noise when powering up or down (more when powering down than up). If the speakers are turned down, all I hear is the clicking of a bunch of relays.

• Lee VE6MKM
    Lee VE6MKM Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The 3000 you hear a single relay click. 6400 is a real heavy tunk sound. I think I can hear a relay click in there as well. Same power supply Astron RM-35A. This is powering up from a total shutdown. I kill all power when done with the radio. Powering off ever thing first.
  • Lee VE6MKM
    Lee VE6MKM Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Speaker was the source. 3000 did not do that. Thank you: Lee
  • Lee VE6MKM
    Lee VE6MKM Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The 3000 you hear a single relay click. 6400 is a real heavy tunk sound. I think I can hear a relay click in there as well. Same power supply Astron RM-35A. This is powering up from a total shutdown. I kill all power when done with the radio. Powering off ever thing first.
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Disheartening. Audio amps have had anti-thump during turn on for decades.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I hear no such “real heavy tunk sound” when powering up my 6600M.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓

I hear it in my 6400, but I think it is due to keeping my amplified speakers all the way up. If I turn down the speakers and correspondingly turn up the Flex volume, I don't notice the noise. Since it is just a startup or shutdown thing, I don't consider it a problem and have gone back to keeping the speakers at full volume.

Len, KD0RC

Answers

• Lee VE6MKM
    Lee VE6MKM Member ✭✭
    The 3000 just made a quite relay click. With the 6400 I am using different speakers so that may make a difference. It still makes more noise than the 3000 when powering on. I usually wear headphones so will unplug the wart for the speakers until I need the speakers. Just being careful with the 6400 and do not want to **** things up accidentally. Thank you for the help.
    VE6MKM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.