Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Where to begin? Basic help just getting started

I just ordered a 6400 that I'll install in an outbuilding. I live in a continuing care retirement community, so I can only install equipment outside the independent living apartment building. I've installed 100mbit internet in the apartment and linked it to the outbuilding (woodshop) with a Ubiquiti bridge. The quoted delivery of the 6400 is 12 weeks, which should give me time to learn about the rig. I've downloaded the 6400 user's guide. It talks about using Smart SDR and some linking software. It even refers to a SmartSDR user manual, but I can't find it anywhere on the site. Where do I get that manual? Also, is there any way to simulate the 6400's operation so I can learn the "knobology" before the radio arrives? I also wonder how I can connect a key to my PC (Windows 10) to use with the 6400. I'm an old tube ham. This is completely new territory for me.

Best Answers

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Thay have changed their site again. Try this link for the Smart SDR manual:

73 Gayle

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Unfortunately there is no simulation for SmartSDR. However there is a “demo” mode available in the iOS (iPhone, iPad) app. The download is free, but to activate it to actually connect to a radio requires a fee.

To use all of the features of the flex can be a steep learning curve, but to use the basics is pretty easy, mostly mouse clicks and scroll in place of knobs.

initially, I suggest connecting antenna 1 port (normally transmit) to a dummy load, and the antenna to the “rx a” (receive only) port. Then the receive operation can be learned without inadvertent transmitter issues, and transmitter ops can be learned safely.

when ready to go on the air, move the antenna to one of the antenna ports and the dummy load to the other antenna port as a fail safe.

Any questions, just ask.

Answers

• rssutton9
    rssutton9 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. This is what I needed. Now I just have to read a couple of hundred pages.
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Glad to help. Its nice that you can get on the air from the retirement community.

After you read your first 200 then look around in the FLEX site downloads area, there are some how to do-it papers on profiles, USB cables, and third party software interfacing.

Gayle

• Lou KI5FTY
    Lou KI5FTY Member ✭✭

Yes @rssutton9 we are here to support you! Let us know how we can continue to help!

• NB6Q
    NB6Q Member ✭✭
    I, too, am contemplating a 6400. I can't seem to find the user guide. Is the same user guide used for 6400M or is there a dedicated user guide for 6400? Please provide a link if possible.

I'm using this link to search the documentation. https://www.flexradio.com/documentation/?_categories_dropdown=flex-6000-signature-series
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Hi:

Since you are not getting an "M" model, I would down load the SSDR user guide mentioned in my above post plus the following hardware guide to aid in station connections,.

Gayle K0FLY

• NB6Q
    NB6Q Member ✭✭
    Thank you. This is very helpful.

Current backlog for 6400 is 120 days?

I’m ok with that and will probably make a decision shortly and place an order. Just need to watch more YouTube videos. Too much Flex hate in the online forums. Useless and counter productive and I was surprised to read all the hate. Shame on them. I don’t mean constructive criticizing either. The hate is really sick.

Is there a term for anti-Elmer?
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭

I would also recommend watching some of the videos on the flexradio.com website: https://www.flexradio.com/videos/

73, Rick N0VT

• NB6Q
    NB6Q Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I will watch those, too.

73 -mitch

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.