Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

PGXL Phones Home

Options

It was a cold, dank Thanksgiving Eve here in flyover country. My 6600m idly scraped along the foot of the forty meter band looking for something interesting when some beeps emerged above the S7 hash that frequents that part of the electromagnetic spectrum. Thinking this was just some local QRP station, I took a sip of my adult beverage and was about to move on when something in the back of my mind noticed that the caller's sign began with a number.

Whoa! call signs that begin with numbers are usually interesting and this one began with a '4'. Other stations began taking notice and the QRM was on the rise.

I'm not sure what happened next but I think my radio and new PGXL took over and before I knew it my hand was slapping "AD0AB" out of my paddle.

To my surprise I heard my call come back along with a thanks and the obligatory 599. I returned the favor and the event was over.

Was it pure luck that I stumbled upon that Montenegro call sign that matches the tiny letters on the front of my PGXL? Or, was it my amp phoning home to tell it's parents how thankful it was to have a nice home here in flyover country?

Jim Charlton AD0AB

Tagged:

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.