Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

WSJT-X and Flex 6300 TX Cutout Problems

I recently had to load up a new computer because the one running my station died. I got everything up and working except that when I enable transmit on WSJT-X, it cuts out randomly. The best word that I can think of to describe it is that it "sputters". I can see it on the panadapter and also the red TX light goes green for momentarily while it cuts out. CW and Phone seem to work fine.

My first guess is that I have an RF problem. I have put ferrite beads on everything going into the computer, including the network cable. I have some toroidss on order.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on where to look or how to test? I've been at this for two days now.

Steve, W6SDM

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Steve, one thing to try to be sure it is not RF getting back in is to try WSJT-X at low power into a dummy load. If that cures the sputter, then it is likely RF, and time to try more ferrites. RF can get in through unlikely seeming places like power supplies, headset cables, key cables etc etc. Another thing to check is for ground loops. These are not as problematic as they used to be with a bunch of external audio gear like modems, TNCs et al, but there is still plenty of room for this issue. Try grounding or ungrounding things to see the effect.

If the dummy load test does not cure the problem, then it is time to look at what all is running on the PC. How fast, how many cores and how much RAM all factor in to the PC performance and could be a factor. One thing you can try is reducing the FPS in the Display window of SmartSDR.

Len, KD0RC

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Steve:

Does the problem happen on all bands? Have you tried WSJT-X using a dummy load, initiate a CQ into a and look for the problem. If it still sputters then look at the new computer. You can also try setting the TX power to a low level or zero on an antenna. Both tests should prove or disprove your RFI suspicion.

Several weeks ago someone on the forum got a new super fast computer loaded with lots RAM etc, he sent it back his new computer wouldn't run digital programs correctly his old one did. SCARY

Gayle K0FLY

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I have this issue as well and mine is NOT RF, I rebuilt my computer and still have the issue.

I think it is ANOTHER one of WINDOWS Sound device Issues on the last couple of WIN10 major updates.

it seems like it may be tied to the same issue that a lot of people (including me) have complained about with with AUDIO Latency and gets worse the faster the computer is.

73's

Bret

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

Gayle, I did set the power to zero, and to one watt. I got the same results. I changed antennas and bands - same thing. I also repositioned the computer and grounded the case. You have reassured me that I'm not losing my mind.

When my computer died, I set up temporarily on an old AMD6 machine and everything worked fine... it was just slow. It also worked great on the Shuttle PC that died. So, I am beginning to lean toward your suggestion that I replace this computer. it's a good thing that Amazon is easy to get along with on returns. The bad thing is that I spent a day and a half transferring files on to this new machine.

Thanks for your suggestions and getting back to me.

Steve, W6SDM

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭

Would you mind sharing the specs on the new computer, ram, motherboard, speed, OS cpu, etc. This is rather curious to say the least.

Thanks.

Bob, WK2Y

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

Len, I spend most of the day putting what ferrites I had in my supply onto everything that goes into the computer... USB cables, audio cables, network cable, etc. Same with everything going into the router. As I said, I lowered the power on the rig to almost nothing. Now, If I lower the PWR slider (TX audio level) on WSJT-X below about the 3/4 mark, the rig doesn't key.

Bob, this is a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p Business Class Desktop, Quad Core i7 4770 3.4Ghz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD Hard Drive, DVD-RW, Windows 10 Pro.

Steve, W6SDM

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

Oh, and while I was troubleshooting, I actually made a QSO. So, apparently enough of the data is getting through for that to happen.

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Rig doesn't key with WSJt slider below 3/4? My system keys the radio but no RF out when I lower the slider below that point, is that what you mean??

Gayle K0FLY

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

At least on my station FLDIGI does it as well so it is NOT a WSJT issue

WSJT contacts are working but maybe requires more retries then would be necessary.

If I turn on my MON button, turn the Power level on the radio clear down and then hit tune on WSJT or FLDIGI you can see and hear the audio dropouts which has NOTHING to do with RF and proves it is in the Windows audio device issue or maybe a DAX issue for that matter.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

Gayle, yes, that's correct.

Bret, I will try that in the morning and let you know.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Steve, W6SDM

• K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭

Steve:

That is real goofy, I assume that your control interface is via SSDR CAT, and using TCP port interface with CAT checked in the WSJT-X PTT radio interface.

If I change the PTT selection from CAT to "VOX" I can duplicate your not being able to key the radio with the WSJT-X output level slider being turned down. Also when WSJT-X is configured to key the radio via "VOX" I can duplicate your cutting out problem problem, the problem does not occur here with WSJT-X PTT set for "CAT". If your WSJT-X radio setup is VOX PTT, change the PTT method to "CAT". Maybe that will fix your problem. Use the check CAT and PTT buttons in WSJT-X to check your interface functionality.

Its past my bed time, Hope this helps.

Gayle K0FLY

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

I use SSDR 3.1.12 , SMARTDAX for audio, and SmartCAT, WSJT-X uses the TCP port but have tried using VOX, CAT using the Kenwood 2000 profile.

Here is a short Video clip, to me it sounds like a interrupt issue which in DAX it uses the Microsoft Drivers that it defaults too.

I have removed all the DAX drivers and re-installed them it made Zero differences.

This to me really points to a DAX issue as that is the only thing that I haven't tried to change.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭

Bret, that's exactly what mine was doing. Also, when it did it's hiccups, it would also cut out. I could see the red transmit light go green.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭

This is NOT using SmartLink !

My Audio dropouts and Latency problems are completely gone when I run the older version "2.4.10" BUT Version's "3.1.12" and 2.5 and up versions has TON's of Latency and Audio dropouts.

I went back and forth several times between the older and newer versions with hard resets between each upgrade/downgrade and the problems definitely follow the SmartSDR versions.

Tested this morning with 3.1.12 using SSB and PCAudio for MIC and Speaker audio in my station here ON the SAME Network after a 4 minute transmission and I ID'd at the end before I unkeyed the radio the other guy's did not hear my entire Call sign.

Loaded 2.4.10 using SSB and PCAudio for MIC and Speaker in my station after a 4 minute transmission and I ID'd at the end before I unkeyed the radio the other guy's heard ALL of my Call sign.

tested this twice during our NET with the same exact results between each version's.

I am positive that this is a Newer SmartSDR issue on some Computer and setup's.

NOTE: if you try to test your's make sure you do a Hard reset and DON'T load the New version "3.1.12" Profiles with the Older 2.4.10 smartSDR and visa versa.

I have done a help desk ticket so we'll see what Flex say's.

73's

• howardsh3t
    howardsh3t Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"I have been having a similar problem. After my Flex 6400 and PC have been on for a while (longer than 12 hours) when I run WSJT in the \"regular\" method with CAT & DAX driven by slice master I start to get drop outs only on the TX audio. If I stop and then start another transmission, the Tx audio may resume OK but after a while, I will completely loose my Tx audio. I can solve the problem by shutting everything down and then re starting. \nAny ideas what I may want to change?\nHoward AE3T\n"}]
  • howardsh3t
    howardsh3t Member ✭✭
    [{"insert":"I have been having a similar problem. After my Flex 6400 and PC have been on for a while (longer than 12 hours) when I run WSJT in the \"regular\" method with CAT & DAX driven by slice master I start to get drop outs only on the TX audio. If I stop and then start another transmission, the Tx audio may resume OK but after a while, I will completely loose my Tx audio. I can solve the problem by shutting everything down and then re starting. \nAny ideas what I may want to change?\nHoward AE3T\n"}]
  • Dan KG0AQ
    Dan KG0AQ Member ✭✭

I am having the same TX dropout issue as explained here. 6400 running 2.6.2.5. My quick workaround is to **** the DAX program and bring it right back up again. Works until it hiccups next time.

73 KG0AQ Dan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.