Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Schematic Request for Flex 6400 & Power Supply Issue (Not)

Is there a good schematic available for the Flex 6400?

I am asking because what I thought was an issue with my Astron 35M power supply it appears to now be Flex related. I was only able to get a few volts out of my power supply, then through the process of elimination, I determined when I disconnected the Flex 6400 from my Rigrunner power distribution unit, I got my 13.8 volts. This worked fine for years. I checked the power cable and it was fine. There is continuity between the power connectors on the back of the radio.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any recommendations.

Mark
N4MKA

Best Answer

Answers

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭

Mark

i recently had the same symptoms with my Flex 6600. When I confirmed it was not the power supply I sent it in for repair. I started the process with a help desk ticket and got very quick response from Ike that confirmed with engineering that it was probably a hardware problem. The failure was a capacitor on the PA board. Obviously shorted. It cost $35 to ship to Flex and $178 for repair, complete test, an update to all Flex issues that in my case was a new SIM card and return shipping. Flex turned it around in 3 days. Shipping UPS was 3 days in and return each way.

I was happy to get a complete verification of the radios as new performance. It was worth the money and very happy with the results. I would be concerned if I did the repair myself I would create another issue inadvertently.

Bill W9JJB

• Mark - N4MKA
    Mark - N4MKA Member ✭✭

I appreciate the feedback. I will eliminate the cables and rigrunner and see where the issue is. I an not one to reach for a solder gun. As a last resort, I will have to box it up and let Flex do their magic. I am glad you included the price and that they did a good job for you Bill. I will post the final resolution once it is determined.

Mark N4MKA

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

I had a significant voltage loss on transmit as measured by FR stack and the K9DUR meter. Removing the distribution block eliminate most of the loss.

• drjbrand
    drjbrand Member
    edited September 2021
    Same happened to me. Short between power and ground. Had to send to Flex to get repaired. They said it was a capacitor. It just happened again a couple days ago. Same problem.
  • Pete K6TJ
    Pete K6TJ Member ✭✭
    Still would be handy to have a schematic.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

They are afraid us mer mortals would actually fix something on our own. This is the trend these days with all ham equipment and other producers to not provide schematics or parts lists. Long time ago when I was in the navy, I bought a quality cassette player, but it failed on me. But a schematic was included in my manual for it. I had all the rest equipment I needed since I worked in the avionics Intermediate shop. Traced it down to a common transistor. Had one and fixed it. But even if we could not fully fix it, as devices are mostly complex surface mounted and flow soldered. We could give insight into a problem. And if it power problems, which these days are the majority of problems, in my current experience. Then we could repair the item. Just fixed an FM tuner that suddenly became power intermittent. Found 30 year old bad solder joint on power transformer to PC board. Re-soldered it now all happy. Had schematics for this also. Glad I did not have to dispose of it, great tuner. They should at least issue schematics on request.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.