Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Magnetic Loop Antenna Choices for Flex Radio

:) I want to buy Flex Radio 6700. One thing I wanted to check if I can operate Flex Radio with Bushcomm 40 Magnetic loop antenna. I live in a big city and I have a patio space in a high rise condos with multiple stories. If a magnetic loop is not sufficient, would you recommend an alternative antenna? And do I need SWR/external Antenna tuner with Flex radio 6700 (in addition to their ATU)?

Comments

• Avan, I have lived in a big city and high rise condos for over 12 years. All attempts at small, local antennas were not satisfactory, due to low heights, blocked by building(s) in several directions, and the high RF noise levels from surrounding buildings. I installed a remote station with a Flex, and I use RemoteHamRadio.com which uses Flex radios. Mark K6UFO

• KØKQ
    KØKQ Member ✭✭
    Avan,

The mag loop is not much different with Flex Radio than any other radio.
    I have used it effectively from a downtown condo balcony in Denver CO.

A couple of things-
    From this balcony there was a clear shot to anywhere except "through the building" which was to South America. The balcony was up 185 feet, the mag loop horizontal was a real performer at that height.

If you are using it with a 6700, be aware that with the narrow tuning of the mag loop you will only have one slice open at a time. Forget about multiple slices, multiple bands. The mag loop is just two narrow. Whenever you QSY, you have to retune the mag loop.

As above, personally I prefer to remote my 6500. Remoting is very native to SmartLink.

Dave KØKQ
  • Avan
    Avan Member
    :) :) Thank you K6UFO and K0KQ.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.