Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ATU DEFECT

Options
HamRadioVlog
HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
ATU doesnt work properly.

I bought a 6300 with the ATU as I have been really happy with my 3k and 5k. The ATU is faulty and having read up it seems it is a known issue for  a long time. The thread on this has been CLOSED. Please, can we get it re-opened and solved as I feel I should have spent less on my Flex and bought an external tuner.

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    What antennas are you using?  What is the typical SWR on those antennas without a tuner?
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I know this is not what you want, but I always use an external tuner with all  my  radios, mostly because the tuning range is so much greater than the internal ones. With the 6400, click the tune button in SSDR, and the MFJ 929 is ready to go.
  • HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    All accepted but I bought a radio with an internal ATU. I e pect it to work like it should.
  • HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    All less than 3.0:1
  • Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Are you sure about the antenna(s). I have two Flex and internal tuners work as expected on both. Maybe if you describe the problem in more detail you will get a solution.
  • HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    There is a video showing the problem attached the the original post. The problem is well known and all over the Internet. Including a previous thread on here that Flex have closed as solved but it isn't.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Let's not lose sight that a 2020 purchase of a Flex-6300 is a second hand purchase, so Mike M0XMX's particular purchase could have issues developed under the previous owner(s) beyond the ATU's regular issues.  There is a Help Ticket process to dig into that aspect.  (Just because there is an ongoing development to improve doesn't mean that is the ONLY reason a particular ATU might be off the mark.)

Sorting out the Flex-6000 series internal tuner and bringing to market the 4o3a Antenna Genius external tuner, along will fully integrating into SmartSDR the related controls, would take the Flex-6000 station option to a new level.  Hoping FRS can move us forward to this unified idea.

As a work-around many hams have been using external tuners or spending a bit of time digging into & correcting why their antenna setup messes with the internal setup.  

I've done both, and usually solider-on with the internal ATU when running barefoot.  QRO is a different story, as you should bypass the internal and hopefully if your antennas & feedlines are well laid out avoid using an external coupler.

At the time of my writing the "official" price differential between certified used Flex-6300 without ATU and with the ATU is $200 (UKP £161) so the marketplace already places an appropriate value on the internal tuner.  I've ordered all my Flex-6000s with ATUs for utility when barefoot and future marketability.  

I am certain Mike M0XMX will find his 6300 a great upgrade to the radio he replaced making his multi-band cobweb and dipole sing, and we will be hearing his Midlands based station dominating on the air!

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  

• HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Steve.

Thanks for the reply however there are a few things that I need to correct. I have been with Flex now for 2 years having ran a 3k and 5k only to upgrade to the 6300 this month.

I have come to love the Flex system, albeit using Power SDR which TBH was the thing that kept me from upgading sooner. That said I am really happy with the 6300 in so many ways although the ATU IS a massive issue for me.

My modest station is a barefoot one into a cobwebb or wire dipole that are nearly resonant in parts. I do wish I had gone down the cheaper route of a non-atu Flex and an external tuner however that is irrelevant now.

FACT IS, this box has an ATU that is unreliable due to an acknowledge bug that remains unfixed for many (?) months and THAT is my gripe.

Would you buyt a car (2nd hand) and be happy to change the factory installed mirrors because the dont do the job? I am not talking wear and tear. I am talking manufacturer issues irrelevant of the age or how many owners, this is NOT just a problem for me, but many others.

Buying an external tuner WILL solve the problem but is that really the answer? Surely the answer is FIX THE BUG!

You watch some of my Youtube channel videos you will see my love for the Flex's, all I want is for it to work HOW IT SHOULD.

Thanks 73

Mike
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZPfFaShoNC_eOZ-lKmt1Ig
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Mike, what version of SSDR are you running?

Howard
  • HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

Mike, have you considered reverting to V2.49 until the fix is released or is there a V3 feature more important to you than the ATU fix?   

Howard
  • HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    No. Why would I? First I have been warned against it due to SD card corruption and Second that is not a way forward, no idea what the differences are but the number version gap seems significant.
  • Dave K5OZ
    Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭
    Options
    Has anyone tried 2.4.10 to see if the ATU bug is not present? 2.4.10 supposedly has the SC Card fix in it.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Dave... yes, v2.4.10 fixes the SD Card issue, but retains the working ATU.

Don

• Dave K5OZ
    Dave K5OZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Don,

I may try to down grade my software from 3.1.12 to 2.4.10 after I put my antennas back up when this storm on the gulf passes through.

Thanks,

Dave

K5OZ

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭
    Options

I bought my 6400 16 months ago. I ordered it with the built in tuner. The radio came with v3 software. At that time FLEX knew that the tuner would not work properly but chose not to inform me of the defect. Since then there have been many requests for a fix from FLEX owners but the company either cannot repair their v3 software or have other priorities. 16 months and no fix. This is ridiculous.

Please don't grill me on my station looking for something else to cause my problem. There is nothing wrong here except the tuner fail. The only thing that works reliably on this tuner is the bypass feature.

Robby/HP3SS

• HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    Options

I am hoping there is a fix soon. Buying and external ATU or rolling back the firmware is not the solution.

• Robby
    Robby Member ✭✭
    Options

Don't hold your breath.

Maybe the problem will be addressed in version 4. Then we will have the option of buying the tuner twice.

I would like to send my tuner back for a refund with FLEX paying for the shipping both ways. Everyone who bought a FLEX 6xxx with a tuner since v3 was released should be entitled to this.

-Robby

• Cirrus Secure
    Cirrus Secure Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunate

I've had a 6400M since 1/23/2020.

I posted "Matching a Mazzoni Stealth Ant?" on 5/1/2020 noting the same problem. (https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/7996309/matching-a-mazzoni-stealth-ant).

"Often I have to iterate on (2) [clicking the ATU button] several times and get either very high or <1.5 VSWR (as measured on the Flex). It's like rolling dice! :-) But eventually I get to a very low VSWR."

So is it a h-ware or s-ware problem (or both)?

I was thinking of buying a 6400 (headless -- without the attached Maestro). I noticed 2 things:
    1) The optional ATU module is out of stock for the 6400 series.
    2) The ATU appears to be built into the 6600 and above.
    (https://www.flexradio.com/comparison/)
    Did I get that right?

Having said that, I've since moved on to using:
    1) A stealthy, off center dipole I built in in my attic (HOA. 40, 20, 10 and 6m) and ...
    2) An equally stealthy outdoor Alpha Antenna 34ft, sloping J-Pole (80 thru 6m).

Both look good on my analyzer and both tune up better than the loop did. Occasionally I'll have to click the ATU as many as 6 times to get it to converge. But once it's saved in memory or better yet in a profile, that seems to be the end of it. I'm eventually going to call sales about the advantages of the 6600 vs the 6400.

73, Tom KE2KQ
  • Mike Lewis
    Mike Lewis Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    As long as we all acknowledge (Flex have already accepted this is a known critical issue that they have on their list) this isnt anything other than a bug to be fixed by Flex and, dont let them forget we will be fine.

Lets just keep reminding them of the money we have invested on products that dont work as they should. Flex are great and I love then to bits however, time is really dragging on and they need to step up and fix this problem.
  • HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    Options

They will sort it out sooner or later I am confident. Lets just make sure its sooner.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.