Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Remote Satellite Operations

Options

I saw a response from Mike, VA3MW, on the AMSAT forum regarding Satellite Remote Operations.

Mike, you said you use a Flex 6600 with transverters and SATPC32.

Do you operate using your local PC, running Smart SDR and SATPC32 and a rotor control program all local? Then a viewer program to your remote. If yes, how do you do Audio?

or...

Do you operate with Smartlink - Smart SDR with SATPC32 on the remote PC (via Smartlink-CAT)? That would leave rotor control, which could be set up remotely using PST Rotor configured as a server (local) and client (remote) with port forwarding thru the router firewall for PST Rotor ports.

or....

Something else?

Alan WA9WUD

Comments

• Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    Options

Alan,

I'm still working on this myself, so I'm certainly not an expert. I have a 6700 and use a DEMI (now Q5) transverter for 435 MHz and a 2MLDPA to boost the low power output of the 6700 on 2 meters. Since you have a 6600, which does not have any 2m capability, as I understand, you are correct that you will use transverters for both bands.

I also use an excellent program called FlexSatPC by W0DHB to link Doppler correction, antenna tracking, and logging. It works with SatPC32 and your log program to hold everything together, and it's really slick. I don't need PST rotor for satellites, I only use it for my HF beam.

As I've studied this, I've had people tell me to avoid a remote computer at all costs, and others tell me that the remote computer is the only way to go. I'm at a decision point on that soon, and am leaning toward the remote computer using some sort of remote desktop program: I've played with TeamViewer and Parallels Desktop. I'm about to try NoMachine. I haven't yet solved the audio problem.

I hope that this is a start for you and that others will jump in to fill the gaps. I read a lot of stuff about Code Red, but I don't yet understand it and am looking for a good explanation. 73

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Mark

I too, use W0DHB's FlexSatPC. I was not aware it did rotor control. How do you have that set up? I have not heard from Dave for some time. Have you heard anything? Do you know what the latest version is for FlexSatPC?

I operate my Satellite Remotely, but on the same LAN. My questioning was to get insights on operating the same remotely, on the WAN.

I use Node-Red to operate many of the components on my Satellite station.

Alan WA9WUD

• Mark K0JM
    Mark K0JM Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm using FlexSatPC v9.9.0 I have not heard from Dave in awhile, either. Actually, SatPC32 controls the rotors, but since it's all part of the package, everything is automatic.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for clarifying, Mark.

I sent Dave, W0DHB, an e-mail and learned the latest Flex Sat PC is v9.49.4. I have since updated.

Alan WA9WUD

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.