Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HF Newbie living in a fifth wheel. Suggestions for antennas?

Hi everyone! Total newbie here and figured you guys might have some awesome ideas for me. I just purchased a 6600m. I live full time in a Fifth wheel, and move it every 3 months for travel nursing. What are some great ideas for HF antennas? If you guys need anymore info please ask. And thank you for any suggestions you give.

Answers

• Dan
    Dan Member
    edited June 2020
    My go to Travel Antenna is the Wolf River Coil https://www.wolfrivercoils.com/SB1000.html easy setup. Take It Along (TIA)

Eagle One Vertical http://www.w8afx.com/index.html

I have also made resonate antennas for various bands.

Dan
    N9BAV
    Fort Worth Texas
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hi Landon Thank you for what you do. If funds are not limited you should look at the Steppir verticals. Made very well and will take the abuse of assembling and disassembling on your moves. Does not need a tuner and bands can be added on Enjoy and be safe Ke2yc. Larry
  • roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited June 2020
    On my RV I use the Little Tarheel. on 40 to 6.  It works fantastic. I have compared it to a 43 ft vertical and saw veyr little difference.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you do a steppir mount it in the geographical center on the roof.  Makes a grand counter poise for the antenna.  I did this type of a set up for my Dad when they were full timing in their trailer.  Design a nifty  mount so that you can have it up in no time so that it lays flat on the roof while moving the rig.  
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Hi Landon, while I am not a full time RVer, I do spend a lot of time in my 5th wheel camper. I have a 43 ft collapsible fiberglass mast mounted to the back of my camper. The antenna is a 150 ft center fed doublet fed with 300 ohm tv twinlead. If I were to do it again, I would use 450 ohm window line. On the upside, this is a cheap antenna and it works well on 80 - 6. It will tune up on 160, but is a real compromise there. On the downside, it has to be guyed and it takes some space to set up. I can set it up as a flat top or inverted vee depending on the availability of trees. It can also be set up as a vertical by stringing the second leg along the ground and feeding it at the bottom, although I haven't tried that yet. Good luck in your search for the right antenna for you. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    PS - there are pics of my setup on my QRZ.com page. Len

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.