Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ALE operations incorrectly switch to LSB on 40M ?

2»

Answers

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    This issue still exists today.  I have made MMI Commands, tried the USB-D, and occasionally it will land on LSB then switch.  This delay makes those frequencies about useless.  If anyone has any example MMI commands that would be very appreciated.  I wish there were an option in the SDR Software that you can TURN OFF automatic band mode settings.  This would be very useful.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I have experienced and logged this issue with Flex Support. My submission was Request #35028. To summarize, when I moved around to different MARS frequencies I noticed that some would automatically shift to LSB. Not helpful. I have since come to utilize both the FRStack program and its integration with the Stream Deck program. At least now I can "push a button" and the script causes a change of frequency and then forces the mode to be USB. I use Stream Deck to make my quick changes between USB and DIGU easier and less error prone.

Here is the response from Support about the issue I logged with them:
    Thanks for the video, that really helps us understand the issue you are describing.Unfortunately, this is by design. 

When changing to a frequency below 60m when the slice is in an SSB mode, the software defaults to LSB as that is the convention for ham radio use on that frequency range.

I realize this is an inconvenience for MARS operation.  The easiest way to override this behavior is to create a list of frequencies and modes that you use for MARS and save them as Memories. Or global profiles, but I think memories would be better suited for this.  I recommend making a Global, TX and Mic Profiles for basic MARS operation and then use frequencies to change to the MARS frequencies you use.
    I hope this helps mitigate Andrew's (now ancient) experience that still to this day impacts MARS members who operate using Flex radios.

• Glenn Depp
    Glenn Depp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    My issue with that response from Flex is NOT ALL USE BELOW 10MHZ IS LOWER SIDE BAND.  All digital modes should be operated in UPPER SIDE BAND, not LOWER.  This automatic changing should have a way to disable by the end user.  And its not just an inconvenience for MARS Operations, its ALL ALE and DIGITAL MODES.  Very sad..  Well we shall see if they can make what I consider a simple change, add a disable/enable to auto changes due to selected band.  I really hope the requirement for LSB on lower frequencies simply go away as there is no reason to do that, no other service uses LSB on HF other than Amateur and a few splinter channels by federal services.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Andrew are you using the PCALE software or something else?

KF4HR
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    Glenn, this issue has been identified for a long time.  The problem is that most digital mode programs issue a mode command after changing the frequency.  PCALE does not.  Their developers were informed of this 3 years ago and have yet to change their software. Everyone I have helped with this issue, I have asked them to contact the developers to make this change in the software.  Until they do, this issue will exist.
  • Moose
    Moose Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    If you see my older post above I was able to get it to work by writing an MMI file that sent a mode command along with each frequency change. I believe that with MARS-ALE radio control will be transitioning over to users writing MMI files for radio control, vs. built in radio selection but I may not be understanding that correctly.
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The developer of MARS ALE posted a June 21, 2020 version of ALE that specifically references our Flex 6000 series of radios. If you not already do so then you all should be members of the Groups IO page for MARS-FLEX6000. Here is the File area where his updates are posted:

https://groups.io/g/MARS-FLEX6000/files/MARS-ALE%20FLEX6000%20Test%20Builds

The developer wrote:
    Hello,
    This is a notification to let you know that the following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the MARS-FLEX6000@groups.io group.Uploaded By: MARSALE <marsale@morrisbb.net>
    Description:
    FLEX6000 ALE_32 Test Build
    Cheers,
    The Groups.io Team

Please download and post updates of your experiences back to the developer... who now has a long term 6400 loaned to him for his development efforts by a private user.

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    And... in the same test build area on the Groups io page, there is a new "Fix for Automatic LSB mode selection in FLEX radios during ALE scanning" -- now THAT IS exciting news! I think this new fix has been incorporated into the recent updated FLEX6000 build I mentioned above.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.