Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

minimum signal strength for cw

Options
roger na4rr
roger na4rr Member
Just wondering what the minimum signal strength required to receive a CW signal.  On FT8 I can decode signals on regular basis at -20 to -24 db. Just wondering how strong the same station would need to be if it was sending cw. Assuming 0 noise level. thanks roger

Answers

• Rick - WC8D
    Rick - WC8D Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The S meter on a Flex radio typically reads S-9 as -75dbm. The reading for FT8 is actually a signal to noise ratio. Not the same thing. I have been able to copy CW signals just above the noise limit on the Flex which can be as low as -110 dbm.

Please see http://www.arrl.org/forum/topics/view/1957 for an explanation on FT8 S/N ratio.

Rick

• roger na4rr
    roger na4rr Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.  The reason I ask is I have a friend that does only cw he refuses to do ft8 To him "fake mode" hi.  Well i was wondering how strong the ft8 signals needed to be for him to able to raise someone on cw.  When I am ft8 on 6m must of the time I see no cw stations on my panadapter.  I'm also talking about the db report from wsjt not the flex s- meter reading
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    In simplistic terms... FT8 has a bandwidth of 6.25Hz and CW has a bandwidth of 25Hz

This means that under the exact same noise conditions FT8 has a gain advantage of 

10 LOG(25/6.25) = 10 LOG (4) = 6dB or 1 S unit

But if gets better for FT8 as the signal contains error correction bits and is integrated over 15 seconds--- albeit the human brain does some error correction on CW.

so in the real world, FT8 likely has a 10 to 15 dB (2-3S Unit) gain advantage over CW 
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I can relate to the question beeing a CW op mainly. Using FT8 as a beacon for band openings, the snr numbers reported on FT8 is useful. FT8 bases the snr wrt 3 kHz BW, and I find myself often use 50 Hz filter when digging deep down into the noise. 3000/50=60 or ~18 dB. Usually I need a few dB of SNR to copy CW so I would expect a -15 dB snr on FT8 should enable me a CW QSO given the power and antennas are the same :)
    For me
    a marginal CW QSO is a lot more rewardig than bagging a FT8.....
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Actually FT8 bases it’s SNR reading on 2500Hz not 3000Hz

so using your 50Hz filter for CW

Then the gain advantage of FT8 is 2500/50=50 or 17dB or 3 S units 

so you are doing very good copying CW when the readings on FT8 are -15dB 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.