Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ATU Not Finding Low SWR in SmartSDR v3.1.12

Options
Craig Gagner
Craig Gagner Member ✭✭
I am running a Flex 6300 and recently upgraded SmartSDR to v3.1.12 from v1, I notice the ATU does not find a good match for low SWR as smoothly as in v1. I have to push the ATU button sometimes several times to get a good SWR. This is occuring on an antenna which had previously tuned right up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That is a new feature since a few updates before. Seems it ́s a feature not a bug, as it was claimed many times here, but flex does not care about solving it.

• Ken - VE5KC
    Ken - VE5KC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This is not a direct solution to your problem but with many people having problems  with the internal  tuner, it might be worth looking at.

When I had a Flex 6500, I was not happy with the performance of the tuner. I have never owned a radio with a built in ATU that worked good for me. The only reason I had the tuner in the 6500 was that it was not optional. Unfortunately, for me the Flex tuner did not have enough tuning range for my multi-band wire antennas. When I later bought a Flex 6400 I was happy to have the no tuner option.

I have found that external tuners like the LDG Z11 Pro and MFJ-939 (and  others) work very well. They use RF is sensing and auto tune when a carrier is applied. A click of the SmartSDR tune button and your good to go. The only down side is that I need to have a separate tuner for each antenna, if I use the 6400's antenna switching. I wish the Flex internal tuner would work as good. It would eliminate the need for two external tuners.

I have been operating this way for many years. Using my external tuners works great, never giving me any problems, tunes all bands, even when operating remote.

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options

Never use a Palstar HF-AUTO or you will  be spoiled for life.

Jim, K6QE
  • Tom Crowley
    Tom Crowley Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This has been an issue for the passt 7 + months.   I have to push the tune button multiple times before it tunes something, sometimes it will not tune and sometimes it will.  

• Craig Gagner
    Craig Gagner Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    That's my experience. ATU is a critical feature. Might have to dump v3 and retreat to v1. ATU is much more critical than remote and multiflex. Bummer. Hate it when an upgrade compromises features that previously worked well.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Actually, I believe Flex _has_ acknowledged it as a problem/bug, but it seems that the solution is not as easy nor straightforward as we would have liked it to be.  It was first recognized in the releases following 2.4.9.  (I.e. 2.4.9 is the last version with the 'old' version of ATU tuning which works correctly.)  When I first identified the problem, Flex acknowledged it (sorry, I've forgotten the #) and suggested I stay with 2.4.9 until it is resolved.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Craig... as I note in my response above 2.4.9 has the 'old' ATU software and works correctly.  (rather than reverting all the way back to v1.x).  Just a thought.

• Craig Gagner
    Craig Gagner Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks a bunch VE7ATJ. Does my v3 license entitle me to use v2.4.9? 
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes it does. All versions 3 and below.

• Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Please consult with Flex support before you try rolling back.  There are certain procedures and limitations that need to be understood and followed in order to successfully roll back without corrupting the database.  
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Pretty sure FRS is aware of this issue. I to was very disappointed with my 6600 (purchased 1.5yrs ago) which I had to pay EXTRA  for the tuner. Takes 5 or 6 times before it's close enough. I get a chuckle (not really) when people say "JUST BUY THIS OR THAT" in order for the radio to work as advertised!

• HamRadioVlog
    HamRadioVlog Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I only got my 6300 a week ago. Previously had a 3000 and the a 5000. Instantly noticed the flakey ATU. Hope they get it sorted soon and this IS A DEAL BREAKER

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.