Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Skimmer without SDR Bridge or Slice Master?

Options
WK2Y
WK2Y Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Third-Party Software
I'm wondering if it is possible to run CW Skimmer without using Slice Master or SDR Bridge?  I can independently get Skimmer running, see decodes and the waterfall works.  The only thing that doesn't work is the frequency tracking. Is there anyway, without an add on program, to get that working?
Thanks.
73, Bob 

Answers

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi Bob,
    There is not a way to do it without a third party app currently.  

There is a request to integrate CW Skimmer directly into SSDR.  It would save screen space ( only 1 waterfall needed instead of one each for CWS and SSDR).  Also it would provide a wider display of signals that matched the SSDR panadapter.   And there would be the option to turn the skimmer display off if not needed.  Here is a link to the idea:  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/pfskimer_what_is_the_possibility_for_a_smartsdr_display_that_combines_panadapter_waterfall_cw_skimmer

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 Win10 SSDR V2.4.9

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Great thread.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for something new either on the Flex or Skimmer side.  I wish the current interfaces were a more reliable.  Hope to catch you for an eyeball when all the craziness subsides.     Thanks, stay safe, stay healthy & 73.
    Bob
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Bob,

The answer depends a bit on you use of CW Skimmer and how much bandwidth you expect to decode at once. 

If you are happy with just 3khz, there is no need for Slice Master or SDR Bridge.  Instead, you can simply use OmniRig (included with CW Skimmer) to connect to SSDR CAT for rig control and have CW Skimmer decode the audio from a DAX (not DAXIQ) channel.  This works pretty well if all you want to see is the decoded CW.  

If, on the other hand, you also want to use CW Skimmer for spotting across a much wider frequency range, you'll need to feed it an IQ stream.  When operating in this mode, you lose rig control.  SDR Bridge and Slice Master are there to provide rig control for this set up.

--Don

• WK2Y
    WK2Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I love the "cool" factor of seeing the wider band and being able to hunt for the calls I want.  It makes me a bit of a snob (i.e.,  you are DX,  have a QSL card I want, or an interesting QRZ page), but so be it.  ;-)  

Glad you guys are up to the task of writing these programs.  Thank you!!  Makes a fun rig even more enjoyable. 
    73, Bob

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.