Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Understanding profiles

Wayne W5GIE
Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
My 6600M is about 1.5 years old, and I can't seem to get a clear understanding of profiles.  The 6600M is in a storage room with 220VAC and antenna access.  About 99% of the time, operation is over the home wifi system from a desktop in a different room.  I can't seem to reliably store or retrieve profiles.  For example, the mic profile normally used is stored as "Desktop SSB" with a  USB microphone selected on the SDR software as "PC".  If I go to a different band and come back to the same profile "Desktop SSB", the microphone is "MIC" and cannot be switched to "PC".  Other problems are profiles not pulling up desired power levels or DAX settings.  And on occasion, everything works fine.  Yes, I have profiles exported/imported.  Even if all is working, it may not be after the next power off/on cycle.

I'm looking for a document or youtube that clearly explains things.

Wayne  W5GIE

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I can surly understand your frustration. Here is what I suggest. Make your mic and TX profiles and make sure every setting is just as you want it, then save them. Set you radio up to a mic and TX profile you created,. Now go to create new Global Profile. Create a Global profile with those other profiles loaded I mentioned, name the Globle profile, something like 40 meters SSB and save.  Now what you have is a Global Profile with all the settings, everything. Make more Global profiles the same way. Now instead of selecting a seperate mic or TX profile, just go into profile manager and select a Global Profle you created. Everything will always stay the same and never change as you go from band to band.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    If you go to this web page:   https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/
    and click on the heading "SmartSDR SDR for Windows" (yes, that is exactly what it says!), then click on "How to Guides", there is a document titled "SmartSDR Profiles How to Guide". This may be exactly what you are looking for.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes there are all kinds of heavy reading around on this subject. I hope I broke it down for you, easy steps and it works so well
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thats what i do, a global for each band. works fine for me
  • Neil Friedman
    Neil Friedman Member
    edited May 2020
    If OP is using the front panel of his 6600M, rather than SSDR on a computer, I would suggest reading Section 18 of the 6400M/6600M manual, instead.  
  • Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Yes, that is exactly what I do. Then I export and import them.  And when I select for example the global "40 meter noon net", the mic profile  "Desktop SSB" saved with that global profile may or may not return the correct mic selection.  The profiles are almost always set up from the SDR program. One further thing, the 6600M is always turned on/off via the remote contact closure unless that for some reason doesn't work.
  • Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks Craig.  I have read this before.  I'll try again to see if there's anything I missed.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Wayne, you should not be losing any profiles or having trouble like this. I would open a help desk and seek help. I am starting to wonder if your SD card is showing some corruption.
  • Tom W3FRG
    Tom W3FRG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Wayne maybe this brief description may help.
    I was doing it wrong , it worked but this is the correct way.

The proper way, using SSDR for ease of Exporting / Importing, is to go to PROFILES, then to the PROFILE MANAGER.

Select your MICROPHONE from the long list, or create it using the create and load selections.

Next go to TRANSMIT.
    Only a description is required, such as 60M, Barefoot SSB, Amplifier SSB, Remote SSB, etc.
    Create this new descriptor, clk on it and Load it in.

Before going to GLOBAL, select the mode your going to use, such as Barefoot or 60M.
    Go thru the entire list of options in the "TX, P/CW, PHNE, RX, EQ" Radio Panel setting up the parameters required for that mode type, SSB, CW RTTY, Etc.

Also, pull up the TX BAND SETTINGS Table.

Select the frequency desired using the BAND select and tune to the desired start-up freq for that band/mode.
    Enter the new Profile Name and save it.
    On  the TX BAND SETTINGS Table, select the band and fill in the RF PWR, Tune PWR and check the appropriate block such as RCA TX1 if that thats the one you use to key your Amp.
    If your using Barefoot, leave that unchecked.

Return to the Profile Mgr and clk on GLOBAL.
    Enter a simple name, Barefoot 80m, as an example, in the New Profile Name and save it.

Select and clk on this current profile your creating and select SAVE and LOAD.

For the next profile using the same mode parameters, return to Band and select the band desired.

Repeat the above until you have all the bands for that mode created and move on to your next mode.

Monitor the TX BAND TABLE when you switch between a barefoot and a Linear mode.

You will see the RF PWR and RCA TX1 (if selected) change back and forth.
    You definitely want the RCA TX1 to be unchecked when going to barefoot, don't want the linear keyed.

I have been using this method to create profiles, and for over a week, I have not had a fault show up.

I hope this simplification for creating profiles is helpful.

GL Tom W3FRG
  • Wayne W5GIE
    Wayne W5GIE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks all.  I have played with it a couple of days now.  I started with a factory reset and created all the profiles from scratch.  There was a lot of fumbling around, but now it mostly works.  On occasion, when I go to my 40 SSB profile, the SSB mic profile comes up with MIC.  I use a USB microphone and never have set a mic profile (or any other profile) with MIC selected.  On FT8 profiles, the receive DAX always comes up with "None".  However, it's an annoyance I can live with.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.