Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

scanning feature

W8QB
W8QB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
For the 6000 series radios, has there been any thought to implementing a feature that would allow for scanning a designated range of frequencies?  I understand that scanning is feasible to one extent or another with some third party applications, but this is something that can and should be integral to the radio's firmware, I believe.  Scanning has long been available in less sophisticated radios and I'm interested in whether others value this feature.  
1 votes

Declined · Last Updated

Comments

• Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Sure the scan feature would be great as well as all mode squelch and a host of other things that are waiting and waiting.  Perhaps we can get DStar to work??  I would be nice to have a list of features that have been mentioned and waiting????  Granted some stuff is on the "nice to have list" and others were available with PowerSDR.  Being a little behind the curve is ok and kinda what we all bought into BUT some stuff is waiting much to long.
  • Gary L. Robinson
    Gary L. Robinson Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I am not interested in scanning at all. 

---Gary WB8ROL
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Hi Steve, I wholeheartedly agree.  Perhaps Flex would be amenable to posting a "living" webpage.  Purpose of this continually updated page would be to display three items: name of the feature being requested, a tally displaying the number of customers who've requested the feature, and a simple "yes/no" indication of whether each feature is actively under consideration by Flex.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    FRSTACK is a third party app that supports scanning and more. I use it on 2 meters
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Third party apps are nice and we all GREATLY appreciate the time and effort to create them.  BUT they should not be essential.  They should be part of the product.  I totally agree with W8QB
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    No interest in scanning here, many other improvements to the flex software are much more important to me (list is long)!   FRSTACK software will do what you need with scanning, a great 3rd party application.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2019
    There is a regulation that prohibits an SDR manufacturer from adding scanning features in their product.  This is due to a time when SDR type radios were used to scan unencrypted cell frequencies.  So it is not a feature we will be putting into SmartSDR.  We even had to pull this feature from PowerSDR years ago for this reason. However, this does not preclude someone other than FlexRadio to write an application that would provide this capability.
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Scanning would be about 100th on the list if we had a wish list for me, FRSTACK works well and FLEX had Designed SmartSDR around API's to do these kind of non necessary tasks and works very well. 

wx7y

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    As mentioned at outset of this thread: for those who referenced FRSTACK, it is my opinion that scanning should be integral to Flex amateur radio transceivers.  FRSTACK is undoubtedly fine software, but launching myriad third party applications adds unnecessary complexity when the alternative would be to make scanning integral to the radio.  An IC-7300 is my backup SDR radio: it features programmed scanning and is approved for sale in the U.S.  The "full" user manual features an entire section devoted to the topic of scanning, e.g., page 10-3.  The same is true of the IC-7610, per page 70 of the "advanced" manual.  If a relevant regulation did/does exist, is the regulation still on the books?  Does it perhaps apply only to radios operating well above the HF part of the spectrum, e.g., cellular frequencies?  If not, then how can companies like ICOM offer radios that feature scanning?

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The icoms are much different then the Flex.
    Keep in mind, SSDR is only a user skin, thin client, no processing done on the computer. This is why for example why SSDR can not record to the HD. Everything is done in the radio.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    To clarify, I operate primarily from the radio’s front panel. I would like to scan directly from the radio, not via SSDR.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Tim, I appreciate that scanning is currently not under consideration by FRS.  But out of curiosity, can you please clarify why it is that Flex brand of SDR radios are subject to a "no scanning allowed" regulation, when in fact two competing SDR radios...the IC-7300 and also the 7610, are legally sold in the U.S. with built-in scanning capability?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2018
    They interpret the regulations differently than we do.  We chose to err on the side of caution.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks Tim.  The (receiver) scanning functionality presumably was carefully scrutinized by FCC prior to when the 7610 and 7300 SDR radios were granted approval for sale to the U.S. market.  Based on this official government approval/precedent, perhaps the time has come to re-evaluate whether current laws/regulations would likewise allow for Flex amateur radios to incorporate the ability to scan.
  • John Orjias
    John Orjias Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    keep in mind we don't want to end with feature creep either. especially on the front of the radio. i personally i think the focus should be bug fixes before anything else. But with that being said, we also have to remember the tablet in that 6400m and 6600m and maestro have finite resources. the interface on them should be polished and focused on UI ease of use and features that directly improve what you hear on RX, with careful consideration not to add unnecessary stuff that could over all bloat the code, slow down the code, make the UI more cumbersome, perhaps less responsive etc. you can never expect the front display on the 6600m to replace a computer. thats not for what it was intended. Once you set that aside, what's wrong with using 3rd party applications to get the job done like FRSTACK. Thats the whole reason you get a radio that has an API, so that you can benefit from 3rd party support. 
  • Carl
    Carl Member ✭✭

I know this is an old topic, but I had to comment again now many years later on the topic of "Scanning." Like many other enhancements that never seem to come to SmartSDR, Scanning would be a welcome feature. SDRuno for example has had this capability for quite some time. The ability to scan range of frequencies or a list of frequencies is extremely valuable, especially if you are running Transverters for UHF/VHF. I assume SDRplay has the same "regulations" to follow, and they have been able to bring this feature to market.

SDRplay have released SDRuno Version 1.3 with Frequency Scanning feature - SDRplay

If FlexRadio decides to add Scan functionality maybe they would also give us Squelch for SSB which is another feature that I would still l still like to see.

-Carl

W1NDS / Flex6400

• Lloyd9
    Lloyd9 Member
    A scanner feature would be particularly useful for monitoring the MWARA frequencies. for those that don't know, this is Major World Air Route Areas - it is the air traffic control for transoceanic flights. All communications are on HF, in the clear on SSB. The communication is much slower than the higher band ATC, and because it is HF, both sides frequently have to repeat themselves so following a conversation is very easy. Regarding SDR and scanning, SDRuno has a scanner but it is slow, doesn't squelch properly and cannot be operated remotely. I am certain Flex would make a superior add on. I for one, would be happy to pay for it...
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

Frstack has memories and the ability to scan the memories. Free download, with lots of other features.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.