Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

multiFLEX problems

Bill  /  VA3QB
Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
This may seem a little confusing but the problem itself is confusing.

I have a Flex6500 with latest version of SmartSDR 3.1.12 . 

I have a friend who lives in a condo and uses my radio via Smartlink/Multiflex.

We have been having some serious issues when we both try to use the radio at the same time.

We usually do two different nets during the week.
First one is on 6M SSB, the other using a transverter on 2M FM.  

I/We did some tests this afternoon. 
Local = Radio at my residence with a heil mic and speakers connected to radio using SmartSDR on my desktop computer.

Client = Desktop at friends residence here in town using a USB microphone and speakers 

Both Computers are Windows 10

-If the local is already connected and the client connects, sometimes there is no spectrum display or waterfall. 

-If the client is connected and the local then connects there are a multitude of problems. 
   - Clients mic profile and settings are placed into the locals connection. 
   - Local can not see his own power output or SWR... but is shown on clients computer
   - If local is on one band and client is on another band, when local transmits its on what ever           band the client is on. (This is a very serious issue)
       -I was on 20M(local) and my friend (client) was on 40M.  When I keyed up and listened on           my ICOM7000 with no antenna the Flex was tx on 40M. **** !!!!
   - There were issues with TX audio not functioning properly. At one point when local was set to       Mic and client set to PC, and local was transmitting, the audio was coming from the clients            computer only.
   - When the mic option is changed on local or client the option changes on the other. So when       my friend connects and his profile has mic set to "PC" which he needs to operate, the local         changes to PC as well.

-The monitor feature seems to work as described, the PC user can hear the radio(local) user,       the  local radio user can not hear the PC using SmartSDR. Not really ideal... but hopefully           corrected in the future.

There are just to many crazy things happening to determine. 

I'm very technically minded (Electronics Degree) and computer literate. But what is happening is totally confusing to me. 
I pretty sure that this is a softwhere issue. 

Anyone else have issues with Mulitflex.. 

We really want to work Field Day together. 

Bill
VA3QB

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    The 6500 only has one SCU, meaning it can only have one active TX and RX antenna active at a time. 

You would need a 6600 or 6700 to have two different users connected to two different antennas simultaneously.

Dave wo2x

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Dave’s input is fundamental to do what you want. But, you may want to submit a help desk ticket to make sure the behavior you see is what is capable or there is a configuration issue. There is automatic antenna switching when you try to use more antennas than the SCUs will support. XVTR for 2 meters may play a part. Help desk ticket support will be faster and more specific to understand what can be accomplished. Multi link does require defining station at each client and local for example or the software can’t guess what you want but tries. Causes unpredictable things to happen. Don’t forget to use FRStack at both local and client so both stations see what the other is doing. I run my main PC with a second PC running a different band on my 6600 (two SCUs) it took a while to understand what was happening but made sense. I run 4 RX antennas in the winter and it took me a few days to understand how it was switching RX antennas when I tried to select a different 3 rd antenna. XVTR uses a one of the receiver ports. (A clue for you maybe) XVTR port does appear to behave a little different than the RX ports but I haven’t figured that out completely. I am not familiar with your specific radio so some of my comments may not be appropriate for you. I use multi and antennas. You may need a duplexer. Back to Dave’s fundamental you can have two different TX antennas but only one RX antenna selected at a time or the radio will switch. 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Ty
    Ty Member
    edited May 2020
    Make sure that you are TX'ing on the same waveform, AM/USB, also ensure that both users are on LAN PTT in radio settings as well as the PGXL. Try that.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    What the op is trying to do can not be done on a 6500 as Dave wo2x said.
  • Ty
    Ty Member
    edited May 2020
    Simply Incorrect. This is FLEX 6000 series w/ SSDR. Try then come back to me.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    What Ty is saying is if both ops are using the same band and same mode there isn’t an issue. Looks like the original author was trying to use 20 meters on one station and 40 on another. If they are using the same profile it will cause issues. Also if they are trying to use two different antennas on a 6400 or 6300/6500 it won’t work due to the single SCU. Dave wo2x
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    thanks Dave, I really need to write longer to make my points. that was my point,,the way the op wants to work  won't work on the 6500.
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I am only use one antenna for these tests ... it covers   20 40  & 80M  .

Bill
    VA3QB
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2020
    Do you both use the same profile by chance?
  • Bill  /  VA3QB
    Bill / VA3QB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Will have to check for that !! 

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    I don't see anything in your description that sounds like something you shouldn't be able to do.  Several here were quick to point out that the FLEX-6500 has a single SCU, which is accurate.  This means that all Slices/Panadapters/Waterfalls/DAX channels (local and remote) will need to use the same antenna for RX.  However, you should be able to have separate TX Antenna settings on each client. multiFLEX is setup to handle that.

Some suggestions:
    1. How are you keying the radio?  When you did your test, if you were keying the radio with a PTT input direct into the radio, it will use the transmit station that is set as the Local PTT in the multiFLEX setup.  The Local PTT should be set to the client that is physically located at the radio.  If neither of you are right by the radio, then it shouldn't matter as you will both be keying via remote/software (as opposed to a PTT input directly to the radio).
    2. As some others mentioned, make sure that you are using separate microphone profiles.
    3. I would recommend reading through the multiFLEX chapter in the SmartSDR Software User Guide.  It covers some of these details and more.

If you have more questions, please feel free to come back and fire away.  This can definitely be confusing as it is unlike any other radio being able to support more than a single operator at a time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.