Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAUTION: Windows 10 Update KB4556799 causes audio issues, data loss

Neal Pollack, N6YFM
Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
CAUTION USERS:   If you have not yet installed Windows 10 Update KB4556799, you may want to immediately block updates until Microsoft sorts the problems or pulls the update.
This update scrambles audio devices, causes data loss, and other serious PC problems.
Read more here;
https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/05/17/windows-10-kb4556799-issues/

If your PC has already installed this windows 10 update, and you are having problems,
the following article has information on how to UNINSTALL the bad windows update;

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/windows-10-kb4556799-bugs-what-to-do

Stay informed, be careful out there, and don't touch ANYTHING, unless of course 
it is a really good whiskey!

Neal

"who needs hackers when we have a plague called MicroSoft ?!"
[Can companies be too big to fail, or do they fail when they get too big?]

Comments

• Arvind Mallya
    Arvind Mallya Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I lost all my profiles on the last update a few weeks ago. There is no accountability at Microsoft for too long they have gotten away with **** software.
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Had this update installed since 12th May no apparent problem here.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The bigger problem here is Microsoft owns your computer update scheduling.  There is nothing one can do to stop this.  Updates can be postponed temporarily but not stopped like in earlier versions. 
  • Steve G1XOW
    Steve G1XOW Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    David, actually you can. You simply designate your internet connection to be a "metered connection". https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/features/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-downloading-and-installing-upd...
  • F M
    F M Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Got this update on 5/13/2020 no issues yet.
  • John Kludt
    John Kludt Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
     KB4556799 was installed on 5/20.  Next day I came in and no audio between the 6700 and the Maestro or SSDR on the desktop.  Needless to say WSJT-X not working either.  I backed out the update and everything appears to have returned to normal.

So, I agree, don't install  KB4556799 until Micorsoft gets it fixed or replaced.
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Everybody is in a different place in the update sequence. Everybody should have an x64 version of Windows on their machines, and I highly recommend Windows PRO...  Some of you are on 1905 some on 1909...  if you're even before THAT 18xx you're machine is seriously vulnerable and plan an update for next month.

Those on 1905 and 1909 that haven't already uploaded this update freeze your updates...  But not permanently. Actually LOOK in the list!!!!  Don't just freeze updates...  I went through this nightmare back in February or March... It was horrible 4 to 6 reboots to get the machine to stop BSOD.  It would come up and look OK then when you were just comfortable in your chair and ready to start bringing up SSDR  BLAM...  BSOD.

If you already have this WMD installed and it caused problems JUST click remove the update. Everything will be better...  Find it in the list, highlight and push "remove updates".  Only select this one KB number.  Then reconfigure anything goobered up..  No matter what, get comfortable saving SSDR profiles, uninstalling SSDR rebooting and Reinstalling, and importing your profiles.

I've been on insider release v2004 of the O/S since 4-29-2020 it has been perfectly behaved. and this version is the predecessor to 20H1 the next full release of the O/S due in JUNE...  I suspect 20H1 to be a solid piece if 2004 is any clue. 

There have been only Defender updates daily since installing it.  I also utilize my old Office Professional 2013...  though 2019 would be nice, but I'm not ready to write the check for that update...  There ALWAYS are considerable updates for that software...

While I'm no longer responsible any longer for a 1000's or PC's connected to the latest and greatest server O/S's I've still got my little fingers deep in these things and expect them to work....

If you are one of the blocked updates crowd plan on doing a total O/S update with 20H1 in June...  It will start you afresh without all these buggered up O/S patches....  You may actually like your computer until the next TIME.

I've always said,  "If you're going to shoot yourself in the foot - do it with a REALLY BIG GUN..."
  • Neil Friedman
    Neil Friedman Member
    edited May 2020
    Installed nearly two weeks ago with no issues.  
  • John AE5X
    John AE5X Member
    edited May 2020
    Same here - no problems whatsoever.

Stay informed out there but don't be propagandized into hysteria.
  • Bob Perkins
    Bob Perkins Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I did this update on May 14, and have no problems with SmartSDR v3.1.12 on the PC or the Maestro so far.
  • W9WLX_Chuck
    W9WLX_Chuck Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Same here.  Installed on 5/13 with no issues.  Win 10 Pro, 64 bit OS, v1909, with i7. Using 3.1.12 on 6600 and 2.6.2 on 6500.
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    They're saying they want to hear about problems.  Let em know.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.