Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro Version Visibility

Asher - K0AU
Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
Maestro came up offering v3.1.12, v2.6.2, v2.4.9 and v1.12.1. My remote radio is at V2.6.1.

Chose v2.6.2 and got the response: "Radio Updates with SmartLink are not supported at this time"  

I appreciate that a bunch of dead versions are cleared out of the "select a version" screen, but any suggestions on how to proceed?

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Hi Asher, I think that you will need to have the Flex and Maestro on the same network to effect the upgrade. We get used to SmartLink functionality, and forget that it has this limitation. If you look in the SmartLink documentation, you will find a discussion on why it needs to be local. 73, Len, KD0RC
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Len, Thanks. I don't want to do the upgrade. I just want v2.6.1 restored as an option on the Maestro version screen!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    I need to address this question.  SmartSDR v3.1.2 and v2.6.2 have several fixes for critical bugs that greatly improve the operation stability and reliability of your radio and as a consequence, results in a more secure and better operating experience.  Some, but not all of these issues are the SD card corruption issue, the possibility of installing a corrupted firmware file, and the security updates for licensing and SmartLink.  The next planned SmartSDR release will be a version of SmartSDR v2.4.9 that has the critical fixes mentioned previously integrated into it.  It will be a SmartSDR v2.4.x version for those who are using v2.4.9 for various reasons.

We highly recommend and strongly encourage everyone to upgrade to the latest version of SmartSDR at their earliest convenience.  Make certain to export your profiles before performing any SmartSDR update.

Because reverting back to any previous version of SmartSDR v3, any version of SmartSDR v2.5 and any previous version of SmartSDR v2.6 less than v2.6.2 could put your radio into jeopardy of experiencing a critical issue, we made the decision to remove those versions from being downloaded and used in order to mitigate the risks to your radio and enhance your operating experience.

In the future, we plan to retain the latest and one revision older for software that is currently being maintained and receiving software bug fixes.

It is the policy of FlexRadio support to only address issues for software running on the latest version of SmartSDR, which now is v2.4.9, v2.6.2, and v3.1.12. 

In addition, any radio that is sent in for service will be returned to the owner with the latest version of SmartSDR for the same reasons mentioned above - it addresses several critical issues that can adversely affect the operation stability of your radio.

While this is not an ideal scenario, we feel that it is for the greater good.  Thank you for your understanding.
  • Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Apparently Flex decided to brick remote Maestro operations. Not cool and absolutely "not ideal." Ironically it leaves earlier versions working as long as you access them with SSDR for Windows.

I understand the desire to move everyone to newer versions, but we don't all have direct LAN access to our equipment all the time. That's one of the selling points of SSDR and SmartLink. And just cutting off a working configuration isn't a great customer experience. Not feeling good about this and there's no technical argument short of "V2.6.1 was starting house fires" that'll make me feel better.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.