Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any "watch outs" for buying a used 6400 series?

Options
Bruce KX4AZ
Bruce KX4AZ Member
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
(cross posting this here since this forum appears to be somewhat more active than for the 6400M)

I am considering buying a used 6400M unit.  I am completely sold on the features and specifications, but want to know if there are any "watchouts" related to hardware/software versions of the radio since it was released.  Also, would knowing the serial number be of any use prior to purchasing?

Answers

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi Bruce,

There was a mod done, two parts, one was Flex would send out new heat sinks, the other was a send the radio in.   

It was called the pen update.  If the radio was shipped from flex after  April 12 2018 then it has the mod.  You might inquire about that.

You might also ask to see some pictures of the M screen both on and off looking for any burn in.  But I personally have not seen one with burn in.

Flex Radios have an ESD diode that protects the antenna inputs from static.  You might ask to see signals shown on both antenna inputs.  The ESD replacement is easy but requires a trip to the factory.   You would know it is blown if the signals are weaker on one antenna or the other.

But without a reference it will be hard to tell.

Beyond that they are pretty solid
  • Bruce KX4AZ
    Bruce KX4AZ Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Mark,
    Thanks for the detailed information.  Alas, someone else bought the rig before I could pull the trigger today.  I'll keep my eye out in the meantime.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Bruce,

Love to get you into a Flex.  Email me at my qrz email:   ws7m

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.