Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mute PC Speakers on PTT Actuation?

Tom OBoyle
Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas
With the advent of WebSDRs for hearing all the participants on HF Nets, many of us end up with multiple SDRs in our browsers running plus our radio to hear everyone.  When I key up to transmit, I need to mute the PC speakers so I don't hear myself in the WebSDRs and then unmute them immediately when done.  I know I can use a relay to mute the speakers, but I thought the programmers on here might be able to build a simple, more elegant utility that mutes the audio when it sees the PTT go active and unmute on PTT release.  

Thoughts?
0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Paul - GI4FZD
    Paul - GI4FZD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Try catsync software.
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Would you consider using a relay controlled by the Flex BIT USB cable, configured to open a set of contacts when the PTT is pushed?   Simple.

Otherwise, you will need an "in-between" software application that becomes complex very quickly.   The need to get your "PTT" activated boolean function to the other SDR application adds this complexity.

Here is a link to the Flex USB Cable users guide.  BIT cable guide starts on page 6.

https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

Alan
    WA9WUD
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Or, instead of using a USB BIT cable to operate the relay, use one of the RCA Jack, TX connections to drive the relay.  You would need to get a relay such as this, which is optically coupled and requires very low amounts of current to operate:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S48BVK5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07S48BVK5&pd_rd_w=x...=
  • hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited April 2020
    Just try CATSYNC for $10.00 and all your problems are gone.
    I use it from the beginning with great succes with my Flex-6500.
    Downlink the demo here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rbgc3jxrklvzm9z/CATSync_Demo_Setup_121.exe?dl=0

And if you like the program buy it here:

https://catsyncsdr.wordpress.com/

Good luck,
    Hans PA0HWB

• Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Wow! I had no clue about it. Now I can use it with my 6500 too. Thanks a lot Hans.
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Hans -

This is awesome.  Can I have multiple SDRs running at the same time?  That is something we need to do to hear everyone on the net.

I had never heard of this before.

73 de Tom, N9GUN

• hans weijers
    hans weijers Member
    edited April 2020
    Hi Tom,
    Never tried that, but i think starting up a second program with a different CAT-link to the Flex i could work. perhaps you could use a different slice as well, just try it out, that's what our hobby is all about.
    VY 73, Hans PA0HWB
  • Tom OBoyle
    Tom OBoyle Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I played with CATSYNC and purchased a license. Thanks all!
  • Val  DM1TX
    Val DM1TX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have got a licence yesterday too. Awesome! thanks for the Tipp.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.