Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New to me refurbished 6400M Disply not showing up today?

AA5SH
AA5SH Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I just received a refurbished 6400M at the end of the week.  I have been getting used to playing with how to use the front panel with iMac and SmartSDR on windows.  I powered the radio down and unhooked the antenna last night be cause we were having a little weather pass through.  I just tried to turn it own it sounds like it is turning on the power light is solid green but the display nor any of hte button lights are lit up.  I can successfully connect to it from my iPad or SmartSDR.  Not sure what is going on.  I skimmed the manual and didn't see any reference to a mode like this of the unit.

Any help would be appreciate it.  

73's

Michael, AA5SHimage

Answers

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Well I tried to reboot it again and it did the same thing.  So I powered it down again and disconnected the power wire then rebooted.  This time when I powered it back on the display worked.  Is this normal?  I had a 6500 and 3000 in the past so I am familiar with Flex radios.  This is the first one with the M panel.  Previously I had the 6500 and a Maestro.

Michael
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Any time something happens that is really strange, it is a good idea to do just as you did, it resets things.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Michael,,, When ever you power down the radio, BE SURE, that you DO NOT shut down or remove the power source for at least 30 seconds...

The Power Light may go out and everything appears the radio is off, But Is Not! Internally it is still alive shutting down the rest of the way... 

Just a tip that Flex has shared with many of us!! Hopefully in the future, when the Power Light is in fact OFF, that wont happen till everything internally has in fact shut down..
  • AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Last night when I shut it down I didn't remove the power.  I didn't remove power until this last (5th or 6th) reboot this morning.

Thanks I will keep that in mind though.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Hi Michael,

You'll have to let us know your personal comparison between the 7610 and the Flex.

Mark
  • Carl Madsen N0GFT
    edited April 2020
    You running bootcamp on the iMac or Parallels? I'm in the market for a Flex 6400 and have been a Mac person for 31 years. I see there's a port called DogPark - have you tried that? Lets you run directly on the Mac. 
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I love macs too but I work as a Windows Medical Device developer so I have lots of Windows stuff around.

But sure do like Macs... 

I have used both Parallels and VMWare Fusion and preferred fusion.   I was honestly thinking that by now we'd have a solution like Wine that really worked where you can just install a Windows program into Mac and it just runs.  

The moment they have it that seemless, if error, then Mac hardware all the way!

• Carl Madsen N0GFT
    edited April 2020
    I've tried wine on a couple of apps and was never satisfied. Have you tried DogPark? Do you still have the Mac Mini's from your QRZ page? Mine is 8 years old and is still VERY fast. Quad Core i7 w/ 1.5T fusion drive and 16GB ram. I priced out a replacement and it's expensive to get back to those specs, but I'd love to have the 4 new USB-C ports. 
  • Carl Madsen N0GFT
    edited April 2020
    I see that Windows 10 is a separate purchase from VMWare Fusion. Do I need Home, Pro or Workstation? I hate windows! Oh well, I used to work on it full time and my wife runs Widoze 10 with AutoCAD 2019. 
  • Carl Madsen N0GFT
    edited April 2020
    Sorry Mark WS7M for so many questions and confusing your QRZ page with AA5SH. :)
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I think fusion can run almost any version of windows.   As a developer I have MSDN access so we have all the versions.  But I run Win10 Pro.

I have both a mac mini (core i5) and a mac book pro i7.  I want to get a new mac for doing Logic (music).

I have run Dogpark.  It is good but takes getting used to as it is quite different than Smart SDR.

Like I said, Wine is not great.  But if Apple but effort into baking Wine into the OS and making it really work well then imagine having seamless use of Mac and Windows software!
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    If you just bought that refurbished rig and you're already having problems then I would send it back while it's still under warranty.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.