Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Unusual PC Behavior

Neil D Friedman N3DF
Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I operate FT8 using the front panel of my Flex 6600M.  My Intel NUC PC, two years old with a ninth generation i5 processor, works fine with DAX, CAT and the WSJT FT8 windows open.  Simultaneously, it runs two windows of Microsoft Edge or Firefox:  one with QRZ.com open and one with LOTW countries worked data open.  I have run this 24/7 for several days in a row with no problems.

However, when I open either browser with the radio off and DAX, CAT and WSJT closed, within about 10-30 minutes I get a BSOD (usually, but not always, something about an unpaged area).  Rebooting the NUC results in another BSOD within about 10-30 minutes.  

I have very few apps on the computer other than DAX, CAT, SDR (which I rarely use) and WSJT.

Any thoughts?  I am not particularly computer savy.  Thanks for any help. -- Neil N3DF

Answers

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Neil you fail to tell us what operating system you are using. First iI would run a memory check. In order to do that do a search for "Windows Memory Diagnostics" and follow the instructions. After that we get to the real nitty gritty.
    Gary
  • RoyS
    RoyS Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Neil,
    I have the same problem with my general purpose computer. Every once in awhile i get the blessed BSOD for the same error code as you. Since this is not my radio computer, I can say with some confidence that this a Windows problem. It appears the BSOD only occurs when I use Chrome on this Win10 unit. 

Good luck,

Roy - W5TKZ 
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Out of curiosity is your BSOD have a message about PORTCLS.SYS ?

It was a common issue for me for a while but think I have it resolved.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    edited March 2020
    Rich - I do not recall seeing that message on the BSODs. - Neil
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    edited March 2020
    Gary - Thank you.  Running W10 home edition.  Will work on the memory check in the morning. - Neil
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    OK well my BSODs were related to that. Tim logged on and tried to fix them but they randomly continued.

Something was posted about slowing down during the SmartSDR install to help. That was my fix.

Even the DAX reinstall talks about waiting 30 seconds.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers

Seems strange but I have not had a BSOD since after doing that.

Rich

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.