Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

rig sharing with a GUI client

Jim Shaffer
Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR API
I'm trying to implement rig sharing with my GUIClient using FlexLib Version 3.1.7.  I have things working the way I want, except I'm not sure how to handle transmitting.
As I understand it, with SmartSDR, both users can transmit, but only one at a time.
I'd like to limit transmitting to just one user, if possible.  I'm not sure how to do this.  It doesn't seem to work well if I set IsTransmitSlice off for all the slices for the nontransmit user.
I also don't really understand PTTSource and SetLocalPTTForGuiClient().
Can someone give me some pointers?

Answers

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    Jim,
    Here's how things were designed.  Each GUI client has it's own designation of which Slice is the transmit Slice.  This means from a radio point of view, there are multiple Transmit Slices at any given point in time.  As a result, we do a Just In Time (JIT) switch when a client keys the radio to decide which Slice to use as the Transmit context.  This decision gets made based on the origin of the PTT signal.  If the PTT is coming from a hardware input to the radio (like a footswitch), then we will automatically use the Local PTT client's TX Slice.  If the PTT is a software PTT signal (xmit command), then we will use the Transmit Slice for the client that sent the command.

Does that help to sort things out?  I trust that you've seen the SmartSDR v3.0 Migration Guide.  If not, it may be worth having as a reference.

• Jim Shaffer
    Jim Shaffer Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020

I've discovered that if I issue a Radio.SetLocalPTTForGuiClient(), that updates the client's GuiClient, notifying the other host.  Is that what you do with SmartSDR?  If so, when do you do it, and how do you know to do it?

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    Setting the Local PTT sets which GUI Client to use for the transmit context when using a hardware PTT plugged into the radio.  There are some more details spelled out in the migration guide linked above, but in general, you would set the Local PTT to the client that is near the radio so that when you key it, the correct client context is used.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.