Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

New installation of SmartSDR on a new Computer. CAT will not start

AC9S
AC9S Member ✭✭
I have built a new Win 10 computer to replace my old Win 7 one.  After installing SmartSRD CAT will not load.  Both SmartSDR and DAX come up, but CAT will not appear, either when SmartSDR loads or when double clicked independently.  I have used the Flex removal program to delete everything, including the DAX stuff, but upon a reload the same issue.  

Any thoughts?  This is the only software on the system other than what came with the Win 10 Home Edition.

Keith - AC9S

Comments

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Do you have "Autostart CAT with SmartSDR" checked on the Settings dropdown menu?
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Yes, but CAT also doesn't start by itself when I double click it like DAX.
  • LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

Keith, open Task manager and look in Processes tab if SmartSDR CAT is listed. Click end task to close it and try to run it again.
    73 Boyan

• AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hi Boyan,

CAT never shows up in the Processes tab.  When I double click the icon for a brief moment it appears CAT is going to start, but then the icon goes back to its normal state.

Bizarre thing is that I have an almost identical computer as a main "house" computer and loaded SmartSDR on it without issue.  Essentially the only difference between the two is that I have a 4 port serial card on the radio computer.

Keith - AC9S
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Please try:

"C:Program FilesFlexRadio SystemsSmartSDR v2.1.30SmartSDR CATcat.exe"

from a command-line window to see if there is an error message.

I would pull the 4 port serial card as a secondary test if the above doesn't help.

_..--
    k3Tim
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    You think there might be a collision with the default Cat port 5002 and com 5 that automatically load, with a hardware com 5 already on the puter via the 4 port card?
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Not sure, a pure WAG on my part. 
    One could open the Device Manager, select a TTY port and check the events.
    Also check the VSP ports events.

A look at the Windows event log  (press the "windows key" then type event to bring up the app).

GL // TiM
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Tim,

My Windows knowledge is pretty elementary.  When I try the cmd line I end up with C:Usersac9s prefixing what I type and your command listed above errors out.

I pulled the 4 port card; Device Manager now just shows Com1 and I get the same failure to start CAT.

Keith - AC9S
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    One thing I should have mentioned at the beginning.  The first time I tried to install SmartSDR the desktop icons were greyed out.  I ran the uninstall program  and retried the install.  The second time all three icons came up normally and clicking on them brings up DAX and SmartSDR, but not CAT - my current situation.

Keith - AC9S
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Something Most FLexers forget to do is REBOOT...  UNINSTALL, REBOOT....  INSTALL and reboot...  Bet it will work then.  You need to really make sure when you uninstall you get everything back out of the system.  When things are really boogered up, I will go into control panel hit uninstall programs section and I'll pull VSP out also.  If you do not uninstall and reboot that stuff will all stay in there...  There's a few tricks that need to be done when the system isn't working right.  UNINSTALLING SSDR and reinstalling (with reboots) will generally clean things up.  Erika DD
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Erika,

That did it!  I uninstalled FlexVSP as well as everything else Flex, restarted, reinstalled and now DAC comes up with SmartSDR.

Thank you!!!  Now to see if I can reinstall my 4 port card.

Keith - AC9S
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Keith probably be okay but if you have trouble with the com port card let me know.
    I have a 2 COM port card you are welcome to that is extra to my needs, I could bring it to you at the next dinner. It is an PCIe card. I went with a 4 port also.

Clay N9IO
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Thanks Clay.  I just picked up the 4 port.
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited February 2020
    We have seen evidence and have a working theory, that suggests waiting a minute (or so) after installing SSDR/CAT/DAX on a PC before clicking the "Reboot" button that appears at the end of an install can solve some problems.   DAX/CAT drivers are installed on a separate PC process and waiting allows time for the drivers to "settle" before the reboot.   

We don't have data that ties "waiting" to the specific symptom reported on this community thread, but we have found it may prevent BSOD events.  It may help.

Our engineering team is looking into incorporating what we have learned into the installer. 
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Final comment - After uninstalling PSDR and "FlexVSP, removing the 4 port card, and reinstalling PSDR the reinstallation went smoothly.  I was able to put the 4 port card back in and all its drivers installed correctly.  Interestingly, with the 4 port in place PSDR (CAT actually) wouldn't install correctly.  It did so with the card removed.  FlexVSP created a port 6/116 pair and the card ended up slotting into ports 2 through 5.  1 of course is the MB's by default.  I tested the radio against the new computer and used my Elecraft W2 to physically map the add in ports.

Now for the fun part of moving all my software and data.  At least I should end up with a cleaner looking system.

Keith - AC9S

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.