Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

OK, has anyone been able to work the JA's on 160 FT8 using a flex? 1.840 TX, 1.908 RX

Options
Jack K3CX
Jack K3CX Member
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I'm no connection wiz so Slicemaster was a god send for me. Works great to configure the radio for FT8 as long as your in the 3K passband using a "normal Rx/Tx FT8 split config." (on a single freq), but the JA's TX on 1.908 Mhz while RXing on 1.840. You need to monitor 1.908 to see the JA's calling you and configure you messages and TX on 1.840. When going into TX the program (WSJT-X) will only Tx on the freq displayed in it's freq window, regardless of the 2 slice "split config of the radio. Has anyone done this successfully with the flex? If so, can you explain to a dummie like me how to configure the slices, CAT,DAX, slicemaster, and WSJT-X to get it working?

Answers

• Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Tune the slice to 1.840 then press the X/RIT button in the slice. Then set RIT to 68000 and press RIT. The slice will move to 1908 but still say 1.840 as the frequency. A red dashed line will appear in the pan at 1.840 indicating the frequency that the radio will transmit on.

Now you will be monitoring 1.908 and transmitting on 1.840 on the same slice. I use it all the time.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Been working a bunch of JA's on 160M FT8 from the east coast over the past week or so. There are several ways to do this, but my method is to run 2 slices and 2 instances of WSJT-X, Slice A on 1840 and Slice B on 1908. Then I simply go into WSJT-X Slice A instance settings and changed the Sound In to DAX 2 (which is the 1908 side).

Two reason, it is quick and simple, and it allows the integration to DXKeeper and the auto update to LoTW to work without issues. It also allows me to scope out a clear spot in the 1840 window to set my TX freq too.
  • ik3ghr Fortunato
    ik3ghr Fortunato Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Prova quì Jack ho scritto qualcosa su ssdr 6xxx ik3ghr QRZ.COM. Scusami ma da tradurre.
  • Jack K3CX
    Jack K3CX Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Pat, tnks! the RIT worked perfectly, I worked a couple JAs this morning with no trouble. I had no Idea the Flex RIT would go that far from the TX freq! Gotta love the band scope on the flex, while watching the activity work its way up the coast on 1.840 I was able to see the signals start to show up just out of the noise on 1.908 and jump on them. It only lasted 15 mins here but that was enough to get JA confirmed on 160! Tnks agn!

Gary, I tried the 2 slice method yesterday but couldn't get it to work. I have to make the DAX 2 change you suggested  to get the audio moved and try again. Tnks for the help!

Jack K3CX
  • Jay  K8CJY
    Jay K8CJY Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Using the two slice method and working many JA's   Some US ops do not understand that the JAs are listening in the 1840 segment and continue to call but never get an answer in the 1908 segment.

73 Jay K8CJY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.