Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DX will be a rare occurance

sky
sky Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
As we move further into 2020, solar activity dwindles.  This year, solar activity will be marked as the lowest in over 200 years. The low in the sun’s 11-year cycle will also have at least some repercussions for the climate here on Earth.

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Often work every continent except Antarctica each morning on 20 meter FT8.
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I likewise snag DX regularly on CW, SSB, and FT8. It's not as frequent or as easy as when we're nearer the solar peak but it's still there.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Not on 160 meters it wont !!  Working lots of DX every night on 160 meters with **** antenna and 100 watts.  CW & FT8.  Never seen it this good before !
  • J. Michael Dunlap
    J. Michael Dunlap Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020

I got my DXCC at the bottom of the last sunspot cycle.  It took a little more work.  The last minimum was long.  Tamitha Skow says that once we start seeing sunspots of the new cycle, it ramps up fast. She has reported a number of sunspots in the new cycle.

What this means for global warming is above my paygrade.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    And a good supply of JA's on FT8 in the AM here on the east coast.
  • py2jf
    py2jf Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Looks like the next solar cycle will be pretty normal and promises lots of DX

http://www.arrl.org/news/two-solar-cycle-25-sunspots-appear

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for the link, was very informative.  There is DX out there, 17m to 160m including the new long wavelength bands.  I need 10 meters to open up for me to complete 5 band WAS.  Ain’t going to happen any time soon, only sporadically.  
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Patience Pat 10 meter DX is worth the wait. I recall around 2000 I ran HF mobile on the way home during my hour commute my neighbor Jerry WB9Z was working a pileup from PJ2T in a contest. One call 100 watts mobile is all it took. Armchair copy we BSed for a few then he picked up the pace again. Don't get hung up on sunspots and miss out on the low band DX currently out there. It too will diminish as the solar cycle comes back. As for global warming. Not buying in to the narrative. Good DX (Think LOW Bands)
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Space WX reported 2 sunspots as the start of cycle 25 Low band DX is best when sunspots are low. And Long Path DX is working from East coast and Midwest on 20 and 40 meters.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.