Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

A SSDR Holliday Wish For 2020

KC2QMA_John
KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
edited August 2020 in Tuner Genius XL
With all the new exciting features of V3 of SSDR the biggest wish I have is to see an ON/OFF SWITCH FOR AUTOSAVE. Thank you and to all a good night. Happy Holidays!
Tagged:

Comments

• KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    amen!
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My Holiday Wish List includes Bug fix's in Version 3 like
    1: The .5 second delay between Audio and Panadapter on SmartSDR. 
    2: New DAX Drivers fixed so they don't Blue screen crash some computers having compatibility issues with Microsoft Sound.
    3: And as you said, the Profiles. 

Bret
    WX7Y

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It wouldn't surprise if FRS is busy working on v4, complete with your wish and all mode squelch, vastly improved filtering, and a bunch of other goodies.  It has been quiet for way too long! :)
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Surely you jest paying for a new major version for bug fix's with Version 3 less then a year old and only on it's second revision?
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Me too!  Amen!
  • LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019

My wish list include major (for me) contesting improvements needed:

1. Maestro lag
    2. 0,7 sec audio delay in SSDR and Maestro
    3. Lack of side tone / monitor in PC audio and Maestro
    4. RX audio immediate mute on TX

73 Boyan
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    That's why I waited to update until it's right for me.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I would like to think now that flexradio has some of the big ticket items promised years ago such as integrated WAN Remote Operation, Multiflex multi client capabilities, The Maestro wireless controller even a new HF powe amplifier the Power Genius XL. It is my hope that flexradio gets back to working on some of the basic core functions of SSDR such as noise mitigation and other basic convince features.
  • Bill W2PKY
    Bill W2PKY Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Tuner Genius PLEASE!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    The last main version upgrade was Sept 17 2019. Only a few months ago. I would look for a release around the new year. But then again depending on any unexpected problems. Just my thoughts.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I hope so. I have had money burning a hole in my pocket since V3 came out in hope that flexradio will ADD THE ON/OFF SWITCH TO THE PROFILE AUTOSAVE "FEATURE".
  • Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bravo! You're the first I've ever seen comment on the persistent problem of audio emanating from the speakers after the PTT is pushed. My mic is very sensitive and picks up (and re-transmits) any audio still coming from the speakers on transmit. I opened Helpdesk Issue 6263 on May 9, 2018 describing exactly this problem, with instructions on how to make replicate the problem, and also a very simple suggestion on how to fix the problem (i.e., mute the speakers!).  I was told by Flex Support that the issue "is a rare case and [we] have decided to leave the design as is" -- in other words, since so few people had mentioned the problem (maybe I was the only one?), it was simply not going to get fixed! I replied that the problem was nearly universal among SSDR installations, it was simply a matter of degree as to how serious a problem it was in any particular shack, and it would be ridiculously easy for Flex to fix the problem - just mute the speakers on TX! Flex Support replied "I understand your frustration, we're going to take another look at the code and see if we can find a fix."
    That was over a year ago, and V2 and V3 have since come out with still no fix to the problem. That single instance of software "support" showed me that Flex's mindset is to only address the problems that enough people complain about.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Of course that is the way it works. Before Flex spends thousands of dollars making a change like this they need to know how many people find it bothersome. That's what we do in business. In most cases it is a factor of shack organization. If the speakers are to close to the mic placement then this will occur. If the mic is picking up sound from the speakers no matter were things are placed, then time to get a new mic..lol

Mark, can you explain what your doing to make this happen? I want to try it here.
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Excellent suggestions above and please add me to the list especially for the auto save and dax issues. I’d also like to be able to keep the left side pull out window closed.

At times we may yell, laugh, disagree, and even reprimand each other. But when one of us is down and has a problem we all try to help each other. My holiday wish is for all to have a happy, healthy, safe, and wonderful holiday season.

• Mark  K1LSB
    Mark K1LSB Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bill, the fix is at most 4 lines of code: 1) mute the speakers, 2) dump the mic buffer, 3) enable the mic, and 4) dump the speaker buffer. That effort is hardly "thousands of dollars", lol! Good grief, if that was actually the case, Flex would never be able to afford to devote any effort to programming at all!

And with that said, here's the relevant portion of the text of my Help Desk ticket, I'm only posting it here because you want to replicate the problem:

I have a 6300 running SSDR 2.1.33 in a quiet shack, used mostly for phone (AM or SSB) QSOs.

Whenever I'm listening thru my shack speakers (plugged into the speaker jack on the back of the radio) and I press the PTT, the last fraction of a second of whatever sound was coming from the speakers (usually just band noise) is picked up by the mic and gets transmitted over the air, resulting in a short but strong "psst" noise being sent over the air at the beginning of every transmission.

I only became aware of the problem after I received several reports from other listeners who were hearing the "psst" whenever I transmit.  So I recorded a bit of my own transmission, and I can hear it clearly in the recording.

The problem occurs regardless of whether I'm using the factory mic or my AT2035 ( the problem is much more pronounced when using the AT2035, as it's much more sensitive than the factory mic, read more on that below), and regardless of which version of SSDR (V1 or V2) I’m using.

The problem occurs only when I'm listening to the radio thru the speakers.  It doesn't occur when the speaker volume is turned all the way down, and it doesn't occur when I'm using my headphones instead of the speakers.  So it’s evident to me that the mic is picking up whatever sounds are coming out of the speakers at the instant I press the PTT. If I’ve got the speaker volume turned up, or if I’m using a more sensitive mic, the “psst” on transmit is louder.

Another local ham was able to replicate the problem at his QTH on his 6600M, both while running SSDR 2.1.33 on his Windows machine and while running dogparkSDR on his Mac, so the problem exists across different Flex hardware and software platforms.

The problem can be reproduced by following these steps:

1)  Tune to an unused portion of the 40 or 80 meter band.

2)  Turn the speaker volume up such that a good amount of band noise is emanating from the speaker.

3)  Position the mic directly in front of the speaker.  If you’re using a dynamic mic or the factory mic, turn the mic gain all the way up (to emulate the sensitivity of a large diaphragm condenser mic).

4)  Press the Record button in SSDR (don't press the PTT switch on the mic yet).

5)  A couple of seconds after the recording starts, press the PTT switch on the mic.  Do not speak, but simply record a couple of seconds of ambient silence (the speaker should be muted while the PTT is pressed).

6)  Release the PTT switch.  The speaker should resume producing band noise.  Do NOT stop recording.

7)  After a couple more seconds, press the PTT switch again.  The speaker should go to mute again. Continue recording for a couple more seconds.

8)  Release the PTT switch, then stop the recording.

Now playback the recording.  At each point in the recording where you had pressed the PTT switch, you'll hear a "psst" for a fraction of a second, followed by silence.  The “psst” is what other listeners are telling me they’re hearing at the beginning of every one of my transmissions whenever I’m running speakers in the shack.

As a comparison, try performing the same test again, but this time turn the speaker volume all the way down, such that there is only silence in the shack.  Upon playback of that recording, you will hear no "psst" anywhere in the recording (don't forget to turn the speaker volume back up before playing back the recording), which is conclusive evidence that the "psst" in the earlier recording was caused by what the mic was hearing from the live speakers at the instant the PTT was pushed.

The problem exists regardless of whether any DSP is engaged in SSDR (TX/RX EQ, PROC or DEXP).

The problem may be caused by either or both of the following conditions, if they exist:

1. There is a buffer in the mic audio stream that should be getting fully flushed the instant the PTT is pressed but it isn’t getting flushed, so the sounds the mic was picking up prior to the PPT being pressed are being sent down the audio stream and transmitted, or

2. The speakers aren't being muted at the instant the PTT is pressed, so there is a fraction of a second during which sound is still coming out of the speaker after the PTT is pressed, and the mic is picking that up.

From an operational standpoint, neither of those conditions should exist.  Immediately upon the PTT being pressed, any mic buffer should be completely flushed and the speakers should be muted.  Failure to perform either of those actions will produce exactly the results I’m observing.

FWIW, I’ve determined from experimentation that I can effectively mask the problem by setting the TX Delay to 150 milliseconds (but that’s an inadvisable solution and shouldn’t be necessary in any case).

• Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Auto save stinks!
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I had a similar thing happen here. Keying the mic with no audio caused a hiss to be transmitted. The exact same thing would happen when I unkeyed the mic. The noise was bad enough that I could watch the amp transmit it into a dummy load and see it in SSDR. I changed something in SSDR and that cured it. It's been well over a year since and I can't recall exactly what it was but I will try to recreate it. Maybe 20db boost, mic selected as input, or something in windows sound selection.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I don't know the exact amount this change would cost of course. But it would not be cheap. Nothing done in SSDR is inexpensive. And you and I have no idea how much code is used, or what other things it may effect in changing it. Let alone the weeks of testing every change needs. So if the complaints are few I understand why Flex would not target this as an very important change. Perhaps, it would be nice sort of thing.

Question, is it still noticeable when the mic is away from the mic?
    I will test this hear. The people I talk to every day are very picky on audio and no one has mentioned it, so they are not hearing it.
    Good thing for you changing the PTT timing works.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have tried many times to cause this and I can't. I hear nothing at all when the PTT is pressed.
    John, what radio are you using, that this also happens?
  • K9SO
    K9SO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Where are our tuners? $7000 for a $5000 amplifier and three years gone from my life now.
  • N6PAT Pat
    N6PAT Pat Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It is my Holiday wish that my 6700 was functional. It's back at FRS again.

Merry Christmas
  • Wilbur Doolittle
    Wilbur Doolittle Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    At least u got to use it 6400 DOA
  • John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Bill the radio is a 6700 and at the time I was using SSDR 249.

Mark, I've been trying to duplicate my old issue here without success. I do recall that it happened on the mic profiles I created and when I used the default FHM-1 profile the problem was gone. That actually took me a while to discover. At that point I started to investigate the settings in my profiles and what I ended up doing was starting with the FHM-1 profile and made changes to it. In other words, I started fresh and worked off the FHM-1 profile, made changes, and then saved it. Today I am using SSDR 317 and can't seem to duplicate that hiss.
  • LZ2BE
    LZ2BE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    It seems there are different issues related to my wish "4. RX audio immediate mute on TX" :)
    My meaning was when AGC-T is >65 and I start sending CW then I can't hear first 1-2 characters due to delay in RX muting.
    Instead of LZ2BE I hear Z2BE or 2BE which is very annoying.
    I know about suggestions how to adjust AGC-T. I'm living in really quiet place, where I can hear a very weak station on 10m only if AGC-T is >85.
    Adjusting AGC-T in contest when you have a rate of 3-4-5 QSO/min is the last thing you are going to do :)
    I believe if other radios are capable to work with RF gain set to max, then Flex must be capable too.

73 Boyan
  • John AE5X
    John AE5X Member
    edited December 2019
    Some word from Flex on the status would be courteous.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Don't hold your breath ;)
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    That's funny.
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    My wish for 2020 is for SSDR to incorporate a solar-flux enhancer that will bring the level back up to 200, and for 20-25 VP6R-class DXpeditions to the remaining countries  I need to make it to Honor Roll before I'm too old to care.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I hope Santa Claus puts an SSDR 3.xx update under the Christmas tree this year.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.