Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro A Battery Issue

Jerry  WA9UKB
Jerry WA9UKB Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
Maestro dies if unplugged from power supply? Never new about the battery issue until i seen some threads about needing charged, The issue here is I have always keep the Maestro constantly plugged in although I have had the unit since 2014 and always plugged to the supplied power supply, so my question is, do I now have a paper weight as it has been said that the battery is not replaceable in the Dell Tablet ? if I had known this in the beginning I would have not purchased the Maestro......

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If you don't have a Battery installed in the Battery compartment then your Maestro is operating normal.
    These Batteries are NOT supplied by FLEX, The battery that people are talking about is the Battery installed in the Tablet inside the Maestro internal Tablet Microcomputer and are NOT meant to power the Maestro but rather keep the programming in the Tablet.
    If you want a battery to Power the Maestro while it is not plugged in or portable operation here is a link:  https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/210311883-Suggested-Battery-Packs-for-Maestro
    hope this helps
    Bret
    WX7Y

• W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited November 2019
    Will the power supply recharge the battery in the battery compartment? Or do you have to take it out to recharge?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
    They will not charge it
  • W5AP
    W5AP Member
    edited November 2019
    how about the Maestro B
  • [Deleted User]
    edited November 2019
    None of the maestro's charge the battery. Was supposed to but a last minute design change eliminated that.
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Seems he is referring to the built-in Maestro battery, not the optional battery pack. That is a small non-user-replaceable battery that must never be allowed to fully discharge. (Why? You might ask.) It will stay charged if you keep DC power on "often enough". Does the Maestro B have the same issue? Don't know. That's my understanding based on snippets I've read here. Has Flex fully described the problem somewhere? It would help!
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Jerry
    If the Maestro is externally powered consistently from DC or user supplied battery the internal battery should be fine. If left without external power for an extended time the internal battery can go flat and not boot the device. There is a procedure to charge the internal battery that needs an unusual USB A to micro USB female cable.
    Andrew VK5CV
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The table battery is indeed user replaceable, speaking from experience in having done so. Videos on the web show how to perform the task.  There are vendors on the web selling the battery.

There is a H0W-T0 on the Flex site about recovering the Maestro A should the tablet battery discharge to the point the device recharge and boot. The interested stugent is encouraged to read it. The Maestro B does not display this 'feature'.

The USB power packs are all over the place wrt performance, especially during charging.  Some (most?) can only charge and will turn off the USB ports supplying power. Other packs won't self start when the Maestro starts and instead a power-0n has to be pushed.  The only viable solution (assuming USB power packs only) is to require external charging of the pack.

The above is my understanding as a user of a M-A from day one and reading this forum.

Regards All,

_..--
    Tim - k3Tim 
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    There seems to be an evolved confusion - a Maestro has an Internal Battery which is not going to run the unit, as it provides the boot-power to fire up the unit.  It is the battery in the Maestro A-Version that should be kept from going completely flat, lest you have to do some extra steps to get the unit back into shape.  Not a big deal, but with the B-Version FRS was able to greatly avoid the issue.  The Internal Battery will keep the unit basically live just long enough to swap you user supplied battery.  At least I have gotten away with a user battery swap.

ALL versions (both A-Version and B-Version) need a USER SUPPLIED & CHARGED battery connected to run without the mains adapter.  Many people use batteries that fit inside the Maestro Compartment, though some more serious operators use larger batteries that are external.  

No Maestro will charge the user supplied battery.  There are sound technical reasons why a built-in  battery charger for the user supplied battery hasn't happened.  Most of us using their Maestro on batteries have more than one battery as it is.

Recommendations for a User Supplied battery tend to go stale, as models of batteries are updated in the marketplace.  The Maestro documentation provides the maximum dimensions and minimum output requirements.  I have found it useful to go with a battery physically slightly smaller than the absolute max dimensions. 

The internal battery on any tablet based product, Maestro included, has a finite lifespan.  At end of life it may not hold or take a charge well, or in some cases it may swell.  Some users report that under 24/7/365 charging from always being on with the mains adapter, that they have experienced internal battery swelling.  Often it shows as brown/burnt spots on the touch screen as it pushes from the inside.  All have reported great success in either having FRS replace the internal battery, having a third party (like Batteries+ or other fix-it shops) replace the internal battery or as a DIY project.

A dead/failed internal battery is a nuisance but is in no way the end of the road for your Maestro.  We certainly don't throw our our laptops or pad/tablets when the batteries act up, and with the same maintenance approach the temporary upset to using our Maestro can be fixed.  

BTW it might be worth editing the subject of this thread (I think just the original poster can do that? or does FRS) as trying to run without a user supply battery is not just a A-Version problem, but is a lack of appropriate power problem that affects all Maestros.

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:  http://k9zw.wordpress.com  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.