Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Can I run my 6500 on a wireless 4g connection to the Internet? And how?

Options
JohnK2CIB
JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
I want to install my 6500 in a remote area where no cable internet is provided.  But I have a decent 4G wireless signal from a cell tower.  Can I use that for the 6500 and how?

Answers

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have done it in the reverse with success though I usually only have one panadapter running. You should be able to have the 6500 connect to a 4g hotspot. You could test it using a phone as the hotspot. You will want an unlimited data service and you probably won't have good success taking full advantage of the 6500 4 pans, 4 slices. This is assuming you are using SmartLink.
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    If you use a smartphone in hotspot mode at the remote site, just be sure you have public IP access to it from any control point location.  At the control point, your Maestro, PC or remote phone needs to know an IP address, either directly or through a DNS.  

I couldn't use a smartphone at my remote location, and ended up with a 30 GB/month Verizon plan that includes a 4G/LTE transceiver/router and external antenna that mounts on a pole, or side of a tower.

http://cache.vzw.com/multimedia/mim/lte-internet/lte-internet-installed.pdf

My Verizon plan does not include a static IP.  That requires a "business class" account and business class monthly fees that go with it.  Instead, I use a dynamic IP service and that keeps up with Verizon's rolling IP updates.  I only need to know the dynamic DNS address and not the actual IP address.  That's all taken care of with the DNS subscription service.

Paul, W9AC

• David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Are you using SmartLink? I haven't had to deal with the public issue using SmartLink. Just log into the account and it connected shows the radios available to connect to.

Though using the dynamic IP service is a good ideal along with a something like a raspberry pi and a relay to remotely control the power on the Flex in case it needs to be power reset or you want to shut it off. Possibly a webcam to view the front display or other useful items at a remote location.
  • JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thank you for your responses.  Based on them, I believe that I can be successful using a cell tower-based connection.  I was using SmartSDR V1 remotely using SoftEther to provide a VPN using no-ip to set the DNS with the real address, and it sounds like SmartLink might do the same, or I will continue to use SoftEther.  Only back then I had a good cable connection.

John, K2CIB
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    David,

Then I may be mistaken if Smartink uses a negotiated server at Flex HQ.  If so, a more complex station would require all Flex Smartlink-enabled products for a remote amplifier and antenna switch.  Nothing wrong with that, but then options for other equipment and software becomes limited.  I have several other applications like you mention that of course, cannot be run on Smartlink.  

Paul, W9AC
  • Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My home internet is provided by AT&T Wireless. (My choice is this or satellite internet)  My router receives the AT&T cellular signal and allows me to access it via wi-fi and ethernet.  I found I have the SmartLink non-connection issue that Paul, W9AN describes above and I an unable to switch to Verizon. AT&T does not offer an unlimited data plan so I have the 150GB/month plan, the largest they offer.

I got rid of my Maestro and gave up on trying to operate remotely.  It's just not worth the hassle (to me).
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    If you want an easier setup and use I would suggest upgrading to v3.x for the SmartLink and improved bandwidth options to make for a better experience. I did the roll your own on v1.x and it works but the SmartLink makes much easier and less frustrating when troubleshooting. This for accessing the Flex. As Paul mention you may still want a dynamic DNS to run a VPN or secure web interface to be able to control other devices at the remote location.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Dump the VPN, SmartLink is much easier.
  • JohnK2CIB
    JohnK2CIB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Bob, can Smartlink work with a URL like myremote@ddns.net rather than a static numeric IP address?  Does it negotiate a direct connection between the client and server, or does the data flow through the SmartLink server?  The latter would add lots of latency.
  • David
    David Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Options
    SmartLink doesn't require a URL. It handles the issues of dynamic DNS, VPN, and the data flows directly between radio and the client. It is the easiest way to get up and running with the the Flex remotely. It also addresses the bandwidth issues more than a home brew VPN can. If you are wanting to run remote the cost of upgrading to v3.x is worth it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.