Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Does anyone know which microphone element is integrated in FHM-2?

DM5HF
DM5HF Member ✭✭
Does anyone knows which microphone element is used in the FHM-2? With my voice I have a nearly perfect match with my personal voice so It would be interesting to use this microphone element also as a headphone. Thanks in advance, Chris DM5HF www.dm5hf-chris.blogspot.com

Answers

• DM5HF
    DM5HF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Nobody has a suggestion? Would really appreciate an advice, also which microphone would sound similar. Background for my search is the high talkpower from the FHM-2. I do not get a similar good ratio between average and peak SSB power measured with Larrys LP500 with any other mic (condenser, electret, dynamic...) and without any distortion. Thank you very much & 73 Chris
  • Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Chris, I don't have your answer but I am sure this mic is a Yaesu unit. I would try and contact Flex direct or HRO or Yaesu in Calif. I am sure they have your info. In addition working with your EQ in your Flex should get your talk power with most any 500-600 ohm mic element. Also I am sure Heil here in the USA can be of help. ............. You know I have found out many times the basic hand mic supplied with the radio does sound the best but people (not you) will go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a desk mic to actually sound worse.

• Ken Wells
    Ken Wells Community Manager admin
    edited March 2020
    The FHM-1 has a dynamic element.
    The FHM-2 has an electret element, and needs the +5v bias set to ON.

As far as talk-power... That is often a matter of how you are adjusting the gain, Filters, Processor, and Transmit EQ.   Every different mic will need to be adjusted differently (sometimes MUCH differently) than another mic.  And simply copying someone else's Mic Profile may not help, because your individual Mic Profile will depend upon your own voice, and operating style.

Please see my Audio tutorials at YouTube.com/NM9P.  They may help you get maximum performance out of your different Mics.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have been using the included FHM-2 Microphone for a year since I got my 6600M. The on air reports have been nothing but steller!! Without saying what kind of radio I am using most guess Collins Radio,, mater of fact a Collins Tube Radio from the S line!! With reports like that why change to some other microphone... My EQ is basically left at FLAT... Just retired last Friday so I am expecting the Flex to get a LOT MORE USE in the coming months!!! :-)
  • DM5HF
    DM5HF Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi all, Thank you very much for your answers. The background for asking is, that the FHM2 can give a constantly average talkpower around 20% of peak SSB. That means I can run 500 Watts peak by 100 Watts average SSB without any distortion (measured with LP500). Of course, we talk about a DX modulation. All of my other microphones will have distortion at this ratio - clear they are working up to 12-15%. I tested Modmike 5, Behringer B1 with 48V BIAS, Sony Electret Mic, Sennheiser PC3... Another result I got with other mics than FHM2 is that I loose talkpower (ratio) when I cut the lower frequencies. Then the ratio lowers at 10% (without distortion). The sound with cutting at 300 Hz sounds really good in playback, but for my opinion the ratio of 10 % gives me not enough punch. Also strong lowering the equalizer settings in SSDR are reducing the talkpower ratio. I hope my lines are comprehensible. Maybe I‘m on the wrong track... Now my aim is to use the FHM2 microphone element with a headset, because the hand mic is not my way talking in SSB. I got a second FHM2 and will bring the mic element to a boom. For me that would be a great solution :-) Cause I‘m professional clamped, a ready to buy solution would be the best choice. @Doug: you’re right, I also let the FHM2 for one year in the box and bought some other mics... by the way, Yaesu and Heil are working with dynamic elements @Ken: 100% tu, with equalizing I got every of my mics to sound good, but for me thats one truth, the other truth is getting talkpower with a good sounding modulation. Will have a detailed look to your clip - thanks a lot @Robert: Really cool, got really the same experience and thats why I’m so sophisticated Will appreciate a further discussion, 73 from Hamburg Chris DM5HF

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.