Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Panadapter waterfall height

Options
John, G3WKL
John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Noticed that I sometimes can't change the height of the waterfall within the panadapter window.  If I delete the slice in that panadapter it will then allow me to adjust the waterfall height, and I can re-open the slice and it still allows waterfall height adjustment. 

Only noticed the effect on the top-most panadapter, e.g. 1st and 4th panadapter when 8 are being displayed and are both placed at the top of the SmartSDR window.

Have others noticed this before?

Using Flex 6700 with SSDR v2.5.1 on Windows10 v1903

John, G3WKL

Comments

• N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    My 6600 does that also when I open a new slice, the top slice becomes real small and I have to drag the display down to where I want it. Does this regardless of what version of SSDR I use or PC or Win7 or Win10
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    sometimes this can occur after changing video settings.  I have seen this from time to time..  usually just need to restart the app, or sometimes the computer after the video adjustment
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    That's interesting and thanks for your input Chris. Not changed the video setting for probably a couple of years. John, G3WKL
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You've mentioned something that could be relevant as I had opened both new panadaptors and slices when I noticed the effect this afternoon.  I'll do some specific checks tomorrow ...

John, G3WKL
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @ John G3WKL - Perhaps some video changes brought on by the 1903 transition could be the culprit?  

Or just an regular along the way update sort of issue?

In my case video driver updates happen fairly often, and not all played well with SmartSDR.  

Steve
    K9ZW

• Paul - K6HR
    Paul - K6HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Same here. Whether newly created, or recalled via profile change, the top most panadapter is always very small. It can also be tricky to pull down and get back into place. Happens here on a 32" Samsung 4K monitor (3840x2160). I thought I had the problem solved at one time, but it persists. SSDR v2.5.1 I've learned to live with it for the time being...
  • N8AUM
    N8AUM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I also haven't changed video settings in years and this usually occurs every time I open a new slice. I just learned to live with it lol
    I have windows updates turned off
    N8AUM Vidas
  • John, G3WKL
    John, G3WKL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Vidas, I can confirm that I get the same thing here, like Paul who also finds the issue related to a newly created or recalled profile.

Where the waterfall/spectrum split is exhibiting the odd behaviour, is when the split is just below the S-meter line and the panadapter is at the top of the SSDR window.  In the image above the separation of the two could not be manually adjusted in the panadapter that includes slice A. 

Things are slightly different when one uses all eight slices:

The above image is taken just after the profile has been loaded.  The profile does not seem to have remembered the setting of the position of the split between waterfall and spectrum in the panadapters that include slices A, B, E or G.  Of those, B and G can be re-adjusted without issue, whereas to adjust the display split in panadapters with slices A and E, one has to delete the slice, adjust, and then reopen the slice.  Sometimes one has to have several attempts at adjusting the split before it works.

To address the possibility of the video settings that Chris and Paul raised, the answer is that I don't know if the video settings have changed with the Windows 1903 Feature Update.  Certainly, I've rebooted many times since it was installed.  The 1903 update was installed on 13th June followed on the same day by the v2.5.1 SSDR update, once I was satisfied that SSDR was working OK on v2.4.9.  I have to admit that until v2.5.1 I made little use of Profiles but have since been using them more, hence noticing the peculiarity that we are discussing.

This is a minor issue, but hopefully now that it can be repeatedly carried out will be picked up for a bug-fix at some future maintenance release

John, G3WKL

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.