Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

AGC-T proposal to FLEX

Sergey KN7K
Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
There are many AGC-T discussion here and while I believe I would like to see it fully automated, as a minimum I would like to see a visual implemetation of AGC-T adjustment.

I understand it may require additional SW development.
Based on my contesting experience AGC is one of the features that I never touched on my other previous radios and Flex radios would benefit with more attention to AGC-T.

During WPX contest, when i tried to pull a weak station, strong station would show up nearby and would "****" my ears. It means I did not have it adjusted right. Also, as much as I have technical background, I do not beleieve I do adjustment properly every time.

Anyway, here is the idea illustrated in the image below.
I would adjust AGC-T Low to Max or Max to Low, SW would make a measurement and will show where you should be on the slope. I would make AGC-T popup window shown any time you touch AGC-T and show where you are.
See below - triangular shows that you are not on the slope.
Status can be shown "In Range" or "Not in Range" in the message below.
Green bar shows that you are on the slope.
I would make these triangular markers moving during adjustment.

Click on the image to expand.

Sergey, KN7K

Comments

• Robert - KV4JO
    Robert - KV4JO Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Sergey posts a reasonable methodology for checking and adjusting quickly the AGC-T.  I do a lot of listening on many bands and would welcome a quick method of visually making (or checking) the adjustment of this important setting.

Thanks, Sergey

Robert, KV4JO
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hi Sergey,
    Here is another option to display the AGC-T setting....also mentioned in the automation idea.

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/option-to-automate-the-agc-t-setting

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Of course, unless we are hard of hearing, we can still simply listen and set the AGC-T were we like it. What I do is just set it to the knee, then move it to the left a bit till I find the best position for my conditions, takes like 3 seconds.

If and when they do make a visual scale, I would think they will just put a marker that moves on the slider control. Depending on conditions the marker moves to the best spot and you simply move the slider to it. Or have it on auto, nothing to adjust.
  • Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Al,
    I am not saying my proposal is better than yours and I have no idea if Flex even would suggest implementation of that.
    My idea is visually clear when you are on the knee or not, when Automatic Gain is actually applied.
    There are many people in that hobby without technical background and visual calibration would be very useful, same for others with technical background. As I said before, i can miscalibrate it easily.

Bill, you can do it by ear, but you have no idea how sharp is your radio knee and you can only assume that you reduce you level of the gain to the point where is Automatic Gain is still working. If your 3 sec adjustment take you outside of the knee, of coarse you reduce the gain, but there is no Automatic Gain applied when you have to pull weak signal or strong signal will suddenly show up.

In my opinion current AGC-T should be called SAGC-T = Semi Automatic AGC-T

Sergey, KN7K
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I like Sergeys idea a lot.  In contest conditions, moving bands in an agile manner very quickly, changing conditions etc.  Visual indicators are extremely useful.  taking time to adjust AGC-T can cost you points, the quicker it can be done the better.  Using what I feel is unused "space" in the panadapter, popups and translucent windows are all great ways to display more information.  Such popups have been used successfully in SSDR-M.  I think this is valid and support the addition of some form of this idea.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I like this idea as well.  Bravo Sergey.
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I like this idea too.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Hi Sergey,
    Agree there are a number of ways to improve the AGC-T feature, some ideas have been "under consideration" for years.  I hope they implement the automated option and include some visual aids as well.

While adjusting by ear may be fine for some, it would be very nice to have the ADC-T automatically follow your preferred setting as conditions change.    ( band change,  condition on the same band changes, the antenna direction,  etc)

And a visual indicator of some sort would really help so, yes I like you proposal also.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ 
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.