Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Using a 6700 on 144mhz to drive 10 ghz transverter

I'm considering buying a 6700 for two reasons, main one is to drive transverters to 2.4, 5.7 and 10 ghz, secondary use is HF occasionally. I cant seem to find anyone who is doing this ? Is there anyone out there ? My interests are EME and microwave, not HF at all but maybe one day I might venture down below 2 mtrs again :)

Answers

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I’m using the Ukraine transverter for 144 MHz which works perfectly.

Haven’t seen anyone talk about pushing as high as you plan to go. Keep in mind that the 6700 IF is 28 MHz.

Good discussions here on the forum on transverters”

Good luck! You’ll enjoy the 6700. I know I do.
  • Larry Davis
    Larry Davis Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    i run 3 tranverter 222 432 2 i do 144 eme  432 tropo and 222 tropo with 6700

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    No transverters needed for 2 M with the 6700.  You get direct coverage of 144-148, albeit with low power Tx and low Rx sensitivity.  That should be very attractive for microwave folk.  It would be interesting to how this works in practice.
  • Greg - K5GJ
    Greg - K5GJ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Keith - I’ve used my 6700 as a 2m IF for 902,1296,2304,3456, and 10GHz. It’s a very capable IF and the waterfall is Da Bomb! 1. I’ve run both an external 10MHz reference and the internal GPSDO with good success. 2. The IF output is -15 to +10DBm and you can set the max level per XVTR band. I try to run all my bands at 0DBm for max. Keeps the waterfall Intermod down. 3. You can use the multiple keying lines to create a sequencer. I choose to do mine externally. Don’t want to **** my amps. 4. Caveat: (Gerald and I differ on this and they may have updated the hw/sw.) I have measured a 14DB Noise Figure on the RXn input of the 6700 on 144MHz. This means depending on your XVTR, you may need to add some additional IF gain. This matters on EME! YMMV. XVTR Ops were strongly debated during the original design. Overall, I’m very satisfied with the result. Good luck! 73, Greg - K5GJ
  • Greg SP7QJF
    Greg SP7QJF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Despite the many advantages of flex I bought the 9700 icom which has much better sensitivity
  • Keith Lynne Bainbridge
    edited June 2019
    Thanks for the input folks. It seems I have two options really, the used Flex 6700 I can buy about Aus$ 4K below new price or spend on two IC 9700's and a IC 7300 for about the same cost. I will still need an Ic 9700 for my portable 10 ghz EME to replace my ageing Ic910 so I will research a bit more before making the final decision.I had the second Flex 1000 in Australia and also a 3000 but never liked the gui, in fact I hated the gui and thats why I sold the radios. The new gui is so much better :) Still a lot to think about :) Cheers Keith
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The IC-9700 may fall short of your EME requirements.  There are numerous reports of excessive frequency drift making it useless for EME.   The external 10 Mhz ref in jack in the back does not actively use a 10mhz GPSDO input.   It's only used for a one time calibration offset.  A bit misleading.  It has nice features and great sensitivity.  I use it for sat work and 2m FT8 but sadly not for EME.  It will not do 9600 baud either.

Cal/N3CAL

• Keith Lynne Bainbridge
    edited June 2019
    Yes I'm very aware of the problem, been communicating closely with Rex VK7MO who has been working on this. I heard today that Icom Europe have announced a fix, but it will be in the next firmware release, so all is definately not lost :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.