Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

remote CW contesting with 6600/Maestro/N1MM

Jamie WW3S
Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
trying to wrap my head around this config....I'm in PA, the contest station assume is in AZ....the radio/antennas are in AZ, the Maestro is in PA....Where is the PC with N1MM? At my home station? How does is connect to the radio, SmartCAT ? How does the receive audio make it back to PA, SmartDax? How about sidetone, I heard sidetone is a problem via remote.... 

Answers

• K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    N1MM+ runs at your home station.  Disable the simulated Winkeyer in the Maestro.  Connect to a real Winkeyer on your home station computer.  Connect the Winkeyer output to the key jack on the Maestro as if it was a straight key.  The maestro provides sidetone.  Smartlink provides both the control of the contest station radio and sends back the audio.

However, if you are using Version 3 the Maestro output will be garbled -  defect number: 7378.

The better alternative is to use a pair of Remote Rig boxes.  They will do both CW and audio, both performing better than SmartLink.  SmartLink is still needed for radio control.  The Remote Rig box provides sidetone.

This whole thing can also be configured with N1MM+ on the computer at the radio.  However, that creates sidetone issues.  There are several ways to do all this.  The first one is the simplest if using the Maestro and version 2.

• Jamie WW3S
    Jamie WW3S Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    thank you....so SmartCat runs on the local machine to generate the comport for MM to connect to for rig control? 
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    SmartCat runs on the local machine to generate the comport for MM to connect to read frequency send CAT commands?  Rig control is done by SmartSDR. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.