Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fuse value of flex6500

EA4AYW
EA4AYW Member
Good afternoon, I need to know the value of the fuse that comes in the Flex-6500 to buy one, since it has been fused.
and I'm not in front of the station to see it.
I was working remotely.
Thank you.

Answers

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The main internal fuse is 30A automotive blade type (ATO) fuse on the positive lead of the 13.8VDC power input. Did you get an error message? Or is there some other reason you suspect a failed fuse? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • EA4AYW
    EA4AYW Member
    edited May 2020
    Good afternoon, and thanks for answering.
    I was working ft8 remotely, and suddenly I had no access to the flex.
    and I could not vonver to access.

The fuse that has been broken is not the internal one of the flex.
    In the power cord that goes from the flex to my power supply has an air fuse.
    that now when I got home, I've seen that it's 25a 250v
    I was referring to this fuse.
    I ventured to buy this size in the electronics store, because I did not know the exact value.
    but seeing that the intern is 30th
    I wanted to put a little smaller so that instead of breaking the internal fuse, in the future I would break the external one as it has done.
    I do not cause it, but the equipment works perfect.
    Thank you.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Okay, got it.  Yes 25A externally makes sense....although it is not hard to replace the internal fuse if you should ever need to.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• EA4AYW
    EA4AYW Member
    edited May 2019
    thanks.for all.

• Brian Morgan VK7RR
    Brian Morgan VK7RR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    But can I give you a word of warning. After over 60 years of repairing electronic equipment I know well that a blown fuse is often an indication that something is wrong. I would not support simply replacing a fuse because one has blown, without satisfying yourself  why the first one went. If you were running FT8 what power were you running? That is, what current were you drawing when the fuse blew? It is good to have the external fuse smaller than the internal one but as Al said, it is not difficult to replace the internal fuse. Again though, I have seen small faults become expensive repairs when people replaced a fuse without determining why it blew in the first case.
  • EA4AYW
    EA4AYW Member
    edited May 2020
    Hello again.
    yes indeed, it only happened twice, and this last one had a 15a fuse, so it was more logical to think that it could be melted without more.
    both were doing ft8 in 20m
    Always with the power that gives the flex, which in my case are 70-80w
    both smitter, and meter.

It is possible that it was due to some radio frequency return.
    since I have 4 towers with antennas, quite close together and one of them just below the main tower where the HF directives are
    but with less height where the 70mhz antenna is.
    and there is always an angle that is between S and SW in which the directive of 20m, is facing the diplo of 40m rigid.
    Same height and separated no more than 2.5m
    and every time I transmit between that range the equipment does not behave well, and if I have the amplifier put, I have to lower power because it behaves badly.

and maybe I can match when the fuses have been broken, that it was between S and SW, that I fused it.
    in these two cases, it was always without an amplifier and with the power of the Flex. 75-80w

a greeting.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.