Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

What CAT setup do you use with Slice Master?

Greg, N6GD
Greg, N6GD Member
edited May 2019 in Third-Party Software
What CAT setup do you use with Slice Master?

Answers

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hi Greg,

If Slice Master is launching your third party applications, there's no need for CAT.  If you are using third party programs that Slice Master cannot launch, you'll have to read about how to configure CAT to support them.

--Don

• Greg, N6GD
    Greg, N6GD Member
    edited May 2019
    I figured out how to get Slice Master to work with my Flex-6500.  Now I have four receiver slices feeding four copies WSJT-X, feeding four copies of JT-Alert, and all of that feeding DXLabs Spot Collector and DXView!  Slice Master makes all those copies of WSJT-X play very nicely with their respective receiver slices.

I still don't understand the setup though. 

SliceMaster set up WSJT-X to use 127.0.0.1:7831, 7832, 7833, and 7834 for CAT Control on receivers 1 through 4, respectively.

My Flex radio's address is 169.254.2.85.
    SDR Cat has the CAT port for the radio set to 8002.
    I also have receiver slice A mapped to COM4,
    slice B mapped to COM5,
    slice C mapped to COM6, and
    slice D mapped to COM7.

==> I get that 127.0.0.1 is the address of my own PC, and 169.254.2.85 is the address of my Flex-6500, but where is it defined that ports 7831, 7832, 7833, and 7834 on my PC are mapped to each of the receiver slices on my Flex radio?? And why aren't any of these port 8002? <==

Can anyone shed light on this?

In advance, thanks for your help!

• Greg, N6GD
    Greg, N6GD Member
    edited May 2019
    Also, Slice Master set the Rig to "Ham Radio Deluxe" in WSJT-X's Radio Setup pages.   I don't have Ham Radio Deluxe, yet this setting works anyway.  Why?   And why isn't "FlexRadio6xxx" the proper setting?

So many questions!

Thanks again for helping me understand this!

Greg
    N6GD

• Greg, N6GD
    Greg, N6GD Member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks, Don.  That makes sense.  Can you please educate me on where these IP ports on the localhost come from?  Are they standard ports for SmartSDR?  Where are these ports documented?   It seems to me they are much easier to use than ports that are defined using SmartSDR CAT.

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Greg, Slice Master provides those ports. They are created and configured on the fly as needed for the program being launched. —Don
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The “Ham Radio Deluxe” setting is WSJT-X doesn’t need to connect to Ham Radio Deluxe. It just needs to connect to a program that speaks the Ham Radio Deluxe dialect of CAT. There are a few programs out there that do this. Slice Master is of of them. At the time I added support for WSJT-X to Slice Master, there were problems with the way WSJT-X worked with FlexRadio6xxx so I chose Ham Radio Deluxe as the dialect instead.
  • Greg, N6GD
    Greg, N6GD Member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks!  That makes sense.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.