Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Do I need SmartSDR to use my USB cable.

Andy W3LI
Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I purchased a USB cable to connect my 6400M to the AMP for band change. On page 112 in the user manual 28.2 Cable Management I tried to see this page on my screen.
Went to the main MENU, scrolled down to USB Cables and taped it expecting to see the screen as it is in the manual. Nothing there just a blank screen. Has this procedure changed?

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Andy,

Only cables with a FTDI chipset are supported by the radio. If you're not sure you have a cable with an FTDI chip set then you should purchase one. A non-FTDI chipset cable will not appear in the chooser.

If it's another issue then I'll try to help further.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Yes Mack it does have the FTDI chip built into the USB connector  I am very familiar with the requirements as the same was required with my TT Orion2 and band change, same amp.. 
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Andy,

So that I really understand the issue you're saying the new USB cable does not appear in the USB configuration tab, correct? Please also confirm you are not using a USB hub (it's OK to use a USB hub but I'm trying to eliminate variables).

If the cable does not appear then lets try a hardware reset to get the radio back to factory settings.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200831185-How-to-Reset-Persistence-Database-for-a-FLEX-6000

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have a 6600M - no USB-Serial adapter, no entry in the USB menu. As soon as I plug in the USB adapter, it appears in the menu. It is entirely dynamic - sitting in the menu, if you plug in the cable, it immediately appears.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    OK Mack, How is it that I do not have the same display on my screen that is appearing on page 112 in the User Manual.? 
    Do I need to have Smart SDR to make this work?
    TNX ...Andy
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Ted, WOW will give that a try. There is absolutely nothing in the manual to tell one to do this.
    Tnx...Andy
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    One additional piece of information, Andy - once the 6400 / 6600 sees the USB adapter, it will appear in the menu, grayed out when not present, until you remove it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.