Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Skimmer with CWX Macro Automation

Rick - W5FCX
Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Hi,

I've been doing a lot of FT8 lately and I have to say, WSJT-X has spoiled me! It's so efficient and productive to automate the QSO motion via the application, it has me wanting something similar for CW. My CW skills are never going to be as good as when I was younger it seems, so I'm looking for a way to make CW easier and more productive at much higher speeds, especially for DX'ing and contesting.

For CW decoding, I'm using CW Skimmer, launched via Slice Master, which works quite well. For CW encoding, I'm using CWX that's built into SmartSDR. It's frustrating, time-consuming and error-prone having to manually set up each QSO. I know. I know. Just learn to send CW faster with a key - well, until that happens, I'm looking for a better solution that rivals the productivity level of FT8.

Are there any tools available that can:

1) extract the currently selected call sign and name from CW Skimmer, 
2) the signal level from SmartSDR, and then
3) automatically build CWX macros to automate handling a QSO?
4) supplementing it with winkeyer compatible input (TX audio + Vox?) for manual key

Ideally, several levels of QSO creation would be helpful:

1) Standard CW QSO (basics signal report, location exchange, 73's)
2) Extended CW QSO (Standard + Equipment, Weather or other extended info)
3) Fox and Hound mode (similar to WSJT-X - ability to quickly pounce/move to next QSO)
4) Contesting mode (brief exchange of contest protocols)

Maybe I'm just dreaming here, but it's very tedious doing all this typing, for us older types who can't send CW manually very fast with shaky hands and such, this type of capability would be awesome. Heck, I'd gladly pay for an app that bridges this gap, if there's nothing out there.

Rick, W5FCX

Answers

• Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Rick, if all your dreams came true i will sell all Ham Radio gear and change hobby and collect stamps !
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I know, Chris. CW is foundational and a lot of folks aren’t going to want to see CW automation. I respect that. I felt conflicted as I wrote this post but ... Joe Taylor and team have instigated the next generation of amateur radio by setting a new bar for QSO automation. It’s probably just a matter of time until it permeates the hobby. Stamp collecting may actually be a more affordable hobby!
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Rick,

Most of what you are asking for already exists in one form or another.  For CW contesting N1MM+ together with CW Skimmer and Flex SSDR CAT WinKeyer will have you covered at least for search and pounce.  Running a frequency with minimal code skills is difficult at best.

HRD's DM780 should be able to cover most of the other "casual" use cases but there are some rough edges both in terms of operation and configuration.  The latest version of Slice Master supports DM780's KY cmd CW mode so that helps bit with the configuration but DM780 seems to have some trouble with sending prosigns.  So for now at least they dont work.  Not being much of a CW op myself, I'm not sure how much that matter.  Without Slice Master's help though I've seen reports that the Flex WinKeyer implementation works with DM780.  

But if you are really looking for something that will make CW as easy as FT8, I agree, it's still just a dream.

--Don

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Don. That's the guidance I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Rick
  • Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    N1MM+ and N3FJP loggers will send the call (as part of a macro for Run and S&P) typed into the callsign box. Both have plenty of macros for conesting. DXLab Suite WinWarbler has plenty of macros for casual QSOs or DXpeditions. I use N1MM+ for most contests, but N3FJP has the best logger for Sweepstakes, Field Day and School Club Roundup.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.