Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

6700 with WSJT-X Somertimes Stays in TX

jerry stern
jerry stern Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Have been running my 6700 (v2.49) with latest version (Windows 10) of WSJT-X and JAlert.  CAT control is through DXLabs Commander.  All works well 99% but at least once per every hour or so after WSJTX completes TX, the 6700 remains in TX.  I have not seen this with SSB or RTTY but the number of RX-TX cycles on FT8 have far exceeded other modes recently.  HOw can I tell if this is a 6700 relay issue or software CAT issue?

Answers

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Its most likely an RF problem. When RF gets into control lines. Try to shorten control lines by wrapping them around ferrite to choke RF.
  • jerry stern
    jerry stern Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Only "external" line in/out of my 6700 is the internet cable and that is already has two big ferrites on each end of the 6' cable (I think this shipped with 6700).   Could it be a sticky relay in the 6700?   
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Are you using CAT for PTT, or control lines on the serial port? Also, I wonder if there is some way for a message from wsjt-x thru DXLabs to get lost - in this case the TX off (de-assert PTT) command. Are there any other instances of apparent loss of commands to the radio? i.e. not going into TX (assert PTT) when you expect it to>
  • jerry stern
    jerry stern Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    No control lines.. both my 6700 and PC are hardwired to same router and use SmartSDR (not Smartlink) IP clients to talk to each other.  So WSJTX or WinWarbler or MMTY all use software control for PTT/CAT.  SInce I use DXLabs for logging, it was recommended to let DXLab's Commander software act as the interface between WSJTX/JTAlert so I get auto-logging.  Works great 99% but I was concerned whether it could be a sign of an issue in the 6700 as my warranty is soon coming to an end.   
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited July 2019
    One way to eliminate DXLabs commander from the possible problems is to set WSJT-X (or JTDX) up so that the Rig is FlexRadio 6xxx rather than Commander. This doesn't have any impact on how anything works other than WSJT is sending the cat commands directly to the radio instead of an intermediary program.

My setup:
    Rig: FlexRadio 6xxx
    Poll Interval: 1s
    Network Server: 127.0.0.1:60000 (have to set up 60000 or whatever you choose as CAT port in SmartSDR CAT)
    PTT Method: CAT
    Mode: None
    Split Operation: None (or Fake It)

I've never experienced PTT getting locked.

Kev K4VD

• Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    JTAlert logs to DXKeeper just fine. There's a whole setup in the JTAlert settings to get it to work exactly how you want it to work. I can share my settings if that is helpful.
  • jerry stern
    jerry stern Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Kevin,  Are the settings you list for WSJTX or JTAlert?  I will try to get rid of Commander as the middle-man and see how that works.

73 Jerry NY2KW
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited March 2019
    I think it is mostly JTAlert settings to get the log over to DXKeeper. I believe there's one setting in WSJT-X (or JTDX) that allows you to autolog or confirm before logging. Then JTDX to setup the interaction with DXLab Suite.

Kev
  • jerry stern
    jerry stern Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Ok I made the changes and logging working perfect without Commander as the CAT intermediate.  I will report back in few days on whether this resolved the issue

Thanks Kevin

73 Jerry NY2KW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.