Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No Ethernet LAN Port on laptop

Options
Dan Trainor
Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I just ordered a 6400 and getting ready for setup.  Today in looking at my PC laptop I was surprised to find it has NO ethernet LAN port!  I never had a PC that didn't have one. Puzzling. How can a PC not have one? I wanted to connect the Flex 6400 to PC Laptop directly [link-local]with supplied ethernet cable to run SmartSDR software to operate radio.  Now I have no way of operating radio. What do I do?  This laptop is only a year old.  Thanks in advance.  dan WA1QZX

Answers

• JohnSweeney
    JohnSweeney Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Very few new laptops contain Ethernet ports because WiFi speeds are so good these days, plus laptops are often used in places where there is no wired connections available anyway.   Just buy an adaptor.  There are many Ethernet to USB adaptors you can buy for under $10 on Amazon.
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Many huh Speed USB 3.0 port to Gigabit Ethernet Apapters out there 73 Mike
  • Dave
    Dave Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I dont even think its necessary. Your wireless adapter and your flex should be on the same LAN.  I use my Flex over the wireless all the time.  You can get inexpensive USB to LAN adapters as well.  
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options

OK, thanks for information guys.  I didn't know they had  USB 3.0 port to Gigabit Ethernet Adapters.  I get one.  Question: Does this method slow down the speed  / throughput of data?  Note:  My shack is far away from home WiFi router and I can only get a weak WiFi signal in shack which is down in basement.  How can I get strong WiFi signal to shack?  Have cable co install another router down there? Or is there a way to use a repeater / extended to get WiFi signal stronger down in basement?  Thanks, dan WA1QZX
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    If you do use WiFi, just a caution: use 5 Gig, not 2.4 if at all possible. There is much contention for the 3 available clear channels on 2.4 Gig in NA, so you will very likely have ocassional dropouts unless you find a clear 5 Gig channel. I beileve most WiFi routers on 5 Gig can handle clear channel management (they can hop around).
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Be careful with repeaters, if you get one. You want it to bridge, not route, so the broadcast packets from the radio reach your PC :-(
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    In your case, WiFi is the way to go, A good WiFi extender should work fine. It will take a little work to find the best place for it.
    Mike Walker is really good with this,,,maybe he will mention something for you.
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options

Thanks.  Any recommendation for WiFi extender brand / model would be appretiated.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I suggest you Google "WiFi Extenders" and make up your mind. There are so many, at as many price points, that suggesting something is a bit of a risk for anyone. They vary from power-line to various stand-alone units. Watch the power-line units for RFI - get opinions from the Ham community before you buy one.
  • Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options

Makes sense Ted.  I googled.  Now researching them.  Thanks much, dan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.